1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You would strain to define the people I went to high school with who headed straight to the plant as "educated."

They're 45 now. The plant is closed.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

My wife can point you to thousands of people who have. Tens of thousands, really, using programs she's directed for local and state governments nationwide.

What you're also way off the mark on when you complain about people expecting the gubment to help them...is that if governments had not cut taxes and instead raised them, and then spent the money on infrastructure jobs, millions of newly trained people would get jobs, and the all taxpayers would see the benefits of the projects. People would have time to stop of an espresso or two, instead of just swinging through McD's before getting stuck on the freeway.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Just wait until automated driving becomes commonplace and truck drivers - many of whom chose their profession as a Plan B after the mill, mine or factory closed - become obsolete.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

God, I knew someone would give this answer.

But, that's not what we're talking about.

Hillary says coal miners need to be retrained. What should our expectations be for this? Will it work? What are we going to train them to do? How are we going to to it? At what cost? Will our newly retrained workers find new jobs?

It's laughable that folks say Trump offers no details, but we all nod our heads when Hillary says we're going to retrain coal miners.

old_tony likes this.
  5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The only reason that you're against this idea is because Hillary is for it. Her idea is a bedrock of Milton Friedman's economics, isn' t it? Suddenly, you want to maintain obsolete jobs. Never took you for a Marxist.

P.S. My problem with Trump isn't that he "offers no details." In fact, I've said that he offers more details on things like the wall than the lazy media gives him credit for. My problem with Trump is that he has revealed again and again that he has no idea what the fuck the issues even are. He doesn't know what the Common Core is. He doesn't know what the nuclear triad is. He doesn't know anything.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Some states already have programs like this. They center on giving grants to entice new businesses, mostly of the blue collar variety, to move into spaces abandoned by mining operations and retraining the present, ready and willing workforce in, for example, construction, electrical work, plumbing, etc.

At a state level, the one proposed in West Virginia allocated $100 million over five years.

Last edited: May 5, 2016
    cranberry likes this.
  7. dixiehack

It speaks to a broader philosophy of whether you think government has a role to play in helping people or not. YF thinks it does not, or at least that role should be sharply curtailed. It is a perfectly legitimate viewpoint; I just happen to disagree.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Yeah, so? That's true enough, and it needs to be dealt with, but that does not feed the family of a guy who lost his job at the mill.

9. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

11. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

And this contains links to within it to more details, and to programs she wants to emulate - and those links have more details.
    Just this link had more information than the site would let me post here.
    And there's fairly well flushed out college and student-payment proposals, too. And probably speeches that flesh them out further.

12. dixiehack

ESPN thinks he didn't live up to his potential.

amraeder likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.