1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coming soon: the NFL's D.C. Cabs?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Jun 18, 2014.

1. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

He was way ahead of his time on gay marriage though
    [​IMG]

2. Gold

Gold Active Member

Well Played

3. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I wonder how much of this is just people's hate of Dan Snyder and his handling of that franchise in the last two decades. If a different owner -- someone widely respected like the maras or Rodney's -- had come to own the skins, I wonder if they would have changed it. Btw, the poll should have asked the Indians if they would be offended if someone walked up to them and said, "Howdy, red skin."

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Since Snyder bought the team, it was no secret on the hate towards him. Every move he made (or makes) has been slammed over and over.

To answer your question, I do think it makes a difference if it was the Rooneys or the Maras (in which the Giants, when they published their '16 schedule, replaced "Redskins" with Washington. Each of their opponents, the Giants used their nicknames.)

What I did not know was that there was an (Anneberg?) poll in 2004 that had the same result as what the Post had yesterday...and yet the likes of Peter King, Costas, and others dismissed it and continued this "crusade" for Native Americans, when Native Americans doesn't really give a shit about the name or how offensive it is.

Native Americans care more about bigger issues like stability and welfare than they do about a nickname.

I would be interested to see how many people would try to counteract a legitimate poll being done by a major daily that has always disliked Snyder and has demanded for the team to change their names.

In other words, people who are not directly affected by something...should stay out of it, unless they are asked.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I'm not one who normally bangs the drum for political correctness and think people are generally over sensitive.

BUT, what's the acceptable threshold for people being offended by a slur? Does it not matter if the word is hurtful to 10 percent of Native American?

What's the line? Is it a simple majority? If seven out of 10 black people polled said they'd let the N-word slide, would that make its use acceptable?

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

There was a judge somewhere along the way who said it was reasonable to consider something "offensive" if 30 percent of respondents deemed it so.

I linked to it here at some point, but damned if I can find it.

8. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

One of the major criticisms of the 2004 Annenberg poll is that it polled self-identified American Indians and there are an awful lot of people that identify as Native American who do not actually have American Indian heritage. Whether that criticism is valid or not I suppose is up for debate. But it's the same method the Washington Post used for this poll, so it makes it much less surprising that it would come up with similar results.

Here's the methodology and data if anyone is interested: Washington Post poll of Native Americans on Redskins' team name

I found it interesting that less than half of the respondents were enrolled in a tribe and almost 80 percent lived in a place where there's no tribal lands.

9. CD Boogie

hell, like 70 percent of women find Donald Trump offensive (and like 85 percent of Hispanics), but that hasn't stopped a whole lot of people from supporting him.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Not sure if it's mentioned in this thread and am in no mood to look, but California recently passed a law outlawing the Redskins nickname. A grand total of four schools changing names. Yet names like Chiefs, Indians, etc not affected.

11. CD Boogie

Well one's a pejorative that comments on a person's skin color, the other is just a name like Spartans. No one in their right mind would feel comfortable calling a Native American a red skin to their face, and that's pretty much the bar for me. Native Americans can say they're not offended by the team name, but how many would be offended if someone called them that to their face? That's the poll I'd like to see.

HanSenSE and JC like this.
  12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Has no idea what you're talking about.

JimmyHoward33 and franticscribe like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted