1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Well, I messed up the embed function and had to delete it, but AP is reporting that Clinton has clinched the nomination. I wonder if this drives angry Bernie voters to the polls tomorrow. Or do people on the fence start to fall in line behind Clinton?

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

AP is wrong. She needs super delegates to win the nomination, and they don't vote until the convention.

3. Deskgrunt50

The chance of supers changing is less than zero.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I honestly don't know what's sadder. People making up new definitions of terms that have been used for decades to cynically try to spin their losing situation, people who believe them, or people who know they are full of shit but parrot it anyway.

dixiehack, Riptide, cranberry and 2 others like this.
  5. YankeeFan

This bullshit is just going to piss off Bernie:

6. YankeeFan

How so?

Where does Brian Fallon rank on the sadness scale when he feigns indignation at the idea that the winner of the most pledged delegates might somehow not win the nomination?

Then why have super delegates? They only exist to change the outcome if necessary.

Has Clinton, or her campaign, made the argument that super delegates should be abolished?

The Dems created this process, and now want to pretend it's over.

I hope Bernie dies on the hill.

7. Deskgrunt50

Well, Bernie did argue at first that Superdeles shouldn't be used. Now that's the only way he can win. So that's a tough sell.

Clinton leads in popular votes and pledged delegates. She'll nearly seal it tomorrow even without the supers.

8. YankeeFan

How many flipped in 2008?

How many committed this cycle before a single vote was cast and represent states and/or districts that Bernie won?

They're dying for Bernie to drop out so they're not in the position of voting against the will of their constituents.

9. YankeeFan

She can't clinch it without supers. Can't.

10. Deskgrunt50

Note the word "NEARLY" in what I wrote. If they split everything tomorrow, which is pretty likely, Clinton will be around 100 short of the number. And have healthy leads in popular vote and pledged delegates.

And the supers aren't changing. So they have to find a way to start bringing everyone together. And that's going to depend on how Bernie handles it. If his goal is to defeat Trump and reform the party, his words and actions will be incredibly important in the next week.

I like Bernie. I think he's been good for the party.

Most important, I hope this leads to seeing less of Jeff Weaver on TV.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Yeah, Bernie's gonna storm back now, YF. Stand back!

12. Deskgrunt50

The will of their constituents is for Clinton to be the nominee. She leads in all ways possible.

If memory serves, the supers were more closely split in 2008. It's not even close this time.

I'm not a fan of supers. Hopefully the party will reform the process. But everyone knew the rules before this thing started.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.