1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gutter, Dec 31, 2015.

1. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Obviously the brand split complicates this but......they need to create mega stars. KO can become a mega star. The rest of these guys......not so much.

Del rio winning = Sheamus 2.0.
    Cesaro isn't ready.
    Dean Ambrose has gone as far as he can go sans case, the briefcase isn't going to send him back where he was around Royal Rumble time, and like Batman said, he can join a Shield 3way feud without it.
    Sami can be a mega star but the way to go about that is not to win MITB this soon. The fans aren't invested in him enough yet.

And like I said, Jericho's winning this thing.

2. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I have a feeling it will go to Jericho, too, because they made a point of mentioning a few times how he created the match but has never won it. Could see him getting the win this year. Would actually be kinda cool to see him win it, sitting back as the Shield feuds with each other, and then cash in on Rollins or Ambrose after a Shield three-way.

I also kinda like the idea of Bray Wyatt coming out at the end with the Wyatt Family and clearing the ring and taking the briefcase for himself.

Or, and this would be kinda awesome, they have Ambrose win, Rollins then beats Reigns and Ambrose comes out and cashes in and wins the belt. I think it's more likely we see something like that at Battleground, though -- Ambrose wins and Rollins beats Reigns at MITB, Reigns gets his rematch and wins, and then Ambrose cashes in on Reigns to set up a three-way for SummerSlam.

3. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Wyatt stealing the case would be awesome but I doubt they do it because they've jobbed him to any and everyone in any feud he's been in.

4. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Doesn't really matter though. They've established him as this generation's Undertaker and so it doesn't matter if he wins or loses. You can build him back up naturally without changing anything because he seems like a guy who wouldn't care if he won or lost.

5. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I'm just now catching up with Raw. What the fuck went wrong with the women's division? One so-so feud and nothing else of worth. The "brawl" was embarrassing to watch.

AJ vs Cena excites me. Did Cena let the B-word slip?

Rollins vs Reigns is booked so fucking lousy. I was having a fit for Rollins to come back and work circles around Reigns. The promos have made little sense. Rollins is cheered but plays heel. Reigns still booed and plays the part of a door stop. It's all backward.

Tag team titles? New Day is still fun.

Money in the Bank? I would like Jericho to win because it would be cool for him to leave and tour, have everyone forget about him and the case, have commentators never mention it, and have him return to whatever brand to cash in for whatever title. Cesaro is meh to me. Del Rio bores me. Sami and Owens don't need it. Ambrose is doomed to the midcard, even if the Shield triple threat happens. Once he doesn't win, he goes back to the midcard. He's not main eventing without an overhaul to everything he does. So, Jericho. But I wouldn't totally rule out Owens.

Is there still a US title?

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  6. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

The women's division is a mess because they decided a while back to forgo legit victories and defeats in favor of having Ric Flair interfere in every match and now, it appears, to have Dana Brooke fill his role as well. Oh and they've apparently decided Sasha Banks has already achieved enough in her illustrious career to warrant being a part-timer on television. Oh and Becky Lynch? Remember her? Yeah. Me either.

What they've done to the division with the talent they have now is indefensible.

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

To be fair to them / Sasha, she's also out with a concussion, or she was out because of one. They were kind of keeping her backburnered though because of the good response Charlotte vs. Natalya got at one of those Network specials, but unfortunately I think they fucked that feud up with Flair's continual interference. Yeah, I realize that Charlotte is a heel champion, but it still seems insane to me to have your 5'11" brick shithouse of a champion needing the help of her geriatric father to win matches. Just have her cheating because she can, not because she needs to, and she's still just as heel-ish.

The Dana Brooke debut is just weird though. The main roster is already full of women wrestlers, and you bring up the rawest Diva from NXT? She's allegedly a favorite of Triple H because of her fitness model background, but man, she just looks bizarre to me. Not hot and bad wrestler seems like a poor combination.

The real absentee person in the women's division - Paige. It seems like forever ago that she was champion.

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Wyatt is currently like the poor man's Kane, not even the poor man's Undertaker. ;) I mean, I think they could build him backup, but 1) he needs to stay healthy and 2) I think he needs to string together a good streak of dominance. I don't think Wyatt has ever won a singles title, or come out on top of a significant feud lately (no to Lesnar, Cena and Reigns, IIRC).

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's a little sad the Luke Harper has won more championships than Bray Wyatt.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I don't "get" Bray Wyatt. I mean, he's good on the mic, and he does well with whatever he's asked to do, but he does nothing for me.

11. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

A million percent they should have broken Becky and Paige into a secondary women's feud while Charlotte/Nattie was going on. Would've gotten both over, furthered the division, and is a much better use of TV time than (insert 60% of segments).

And Bradley, what, you're not excited about Titus O'Neil making his triumphant return and going for the US title???

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who thinks they're slowly building Charlotte for a Chyna-like run with the men?

Draft saved Draft deleted