1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Or Trump doesn't get reimbursed and he chalks up the personal money as an advertising expense for his brand.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

He'll just write it off.

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

It's gotta be so hard for some of you folks, having to constantly run circles around yourselves justifying why it's still ok to vote for this guy.

What did he do today? Completely mismanaged his campaign? It's ok, it's ok-- crazy like a fox.

Said a racist thing? It's ok, it's ok-- better a racist than Hillary.

Funneling campaign money to his for-profit businesses?-- it's okay, it's okay-- that makes him smart.

Fired his campaign manager? He knows how to fire people.

Makes fun of disabled people? It's okay, it's okay. Hillary's done worse.

GOP brass won't support him? It's alright. What do they know anyway?

The bankruptcies? Won't fundraise? It's okay, it's okay...

Thinks abortion is ok in certain circumstances? It's okay, it's okay....

The ideological gymnastics some of you must be performing.

Hats off, guys.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Ok. Now do Hillary.

5. Lugnuts

Fair enough, YF.

Let me give it some thought and I'll come up with something. It'll start with the dumb shit e-mail server.

But suffice it to say, in this cycle, your gymnastics are 360 degree back handsprings on a balance beam while mine are simple cartwheels on a floor mat.

Donny in his element and Stoney like this.
  6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

You're acting as if one of those is more difficult than the other for someone as old as YF ...

Ace and Lugnuts like this.
  7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If Trump turns into (or continues to be) a clown show of a candidate, that's one thing. McCain and Romney were bad candidates, too. It's frustrating if you're on Team Elephant, but whaddya gonna do? Our chance to get someone else has come and gone. Beat Trump on his own merits and there's nothing anyone can do or say about it.
    But when you have his opposite number on the other side who is just as shady and slimy as he is, and there's rarely a peep about it in the national media beyond what absolutely must be reported, I've got to admit it feels like Trump is playing against a stacked deck. He can't win. Not because he's a buffoon and his ideas suck, but because "They" are against him.
    When he says he's not getting a fair shake from the RNC and the national media, he's not entirely wrong.
    I'm not saying Trump isn't slimy and the press needs to ignore his sliminess. It'd just be nice if there was any sense that they'd eventually turn the same white-hot spotlight on Clinton and her shady dealings.

old_tony likes this.
  8. Lugnuts

I see your point, Bat.

I've given this a lot of thought this cycle, and I do think the coverage is tougher on the right.

For example, WaPo has come after Trump hard since he pulled their credentials.

But I'm not sure what the MSM does these days even matters much.

Batman likes this.
  9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

What "shady dealings" of any Clinton have not already had been the subject of "white hot spotlight" to the point where roasted inside-out from white heat?

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Seems more like a heat lamp. They get made, some attention is paid to them, then they're stuck under the heat lamp for an hour until they become old and crusty and no one cares about them anymore.

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Let's ditch the metaphors. Specifically what shady Hillary dealings do you think have not gotten media attention?

Ace likes this.
  12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

No doubt Trump has not helped himself. He's antagonized a fair number of media members, either directly or through the way he's treated the profession, which is never a good way to get the fair coverage that he supposedly craves. When you give a good reporter the motivation to dive into your possibly shady dealings, you'd better have everything in order or else it won't end well. That's a lesson Trump hasn't seemed to grasp.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.