1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

That guy is a Democrat the way George Wallace was once (decades ago) a Democrat. And, yes, I am aware of the sheriff's race.

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

That reminds me. Ever since I heard that word mentioned as the "R" word, I started thinking of offensive words for every letter of the alphabet.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

We got any blacks around here, or did we run them all off?

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Good point. YES I do. There are a number of people here who are either unfairly being put into a group or unwittingly being put there.

And while I have your attention... you're one of the fellas here I wonder about.

Do you ever look at yourself in the figurative mirror and say, "What if I'm wrong?"

What if I'm wrong about Trump ?

What are the implications of that ?

Is it nothing, really ? So you get on the Internet do your thing, all in good fun ? You mentioned that you make your opinions known to those around you.

What about your children ? What are the implications of supporting this man ? Do you worry about that ?

Because I do.

My 9 year old was permitted to stay up late and watch both Trump's and Clinton's convention speeches.

She's made it known she's pulling for Hillary. During Hillary's speech she cried.

I have to look at myself and think: What if Hillary turns out to be awful ? I've supported her. I've told my loved ones and kids I support her.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I've not been at all shy at calling that as I see it, too.

6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

O
    Fairly creative. I give it a 6.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Fill me in.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'd like to hear Sunshine address Luggie's issues.

9. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I look in the mirror all the time. Of course, that's just vanity and has nothing to do with politics. You should see my arms.

Anyway, I don't support Trump. I won't be voting for him. But I'm not voting for Hillary either. I probably won't vote, which is SAD!, but I don't want my name attached to either one of these terrible candidates -- in part because, yes, I would feel bad not only voting for someone who turned out to be awful for our country, but especially if I didn't believe in them in the first place. It's one thing for a candidate to let you down; it's quite another to know what you're getting and vote for that person anyway.

My "thing" is who I am. Ask anyone who knows me and they'll tell you I'm kind of a dick, but they'd also tell you I'm serious about life and all that it entails. Mr. Sunshine is a reverse nickname given to me by Moddy after he worked with me for a few years.

Finally, I certainly worry about the future in regards to my children every day, but one is 5 and autistic and the other is 2. Our political discussions aren't much more advanced than the ones around here. As they get older, I'll explain what I believe and why as the right time presents itself, but I'd also like to let my kids be kids for a while and not have them obsess over politics like adults do.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Luggie, you're a grown up. You know that all pols, even the best of 'em, even the ones on Mt. Rushmore, disappoint or disappointed their supporters because politics ain't about being perfect. It's about greatest good, greatest number,and what is it possible to do? Tell your little girl that as best you can. It's OK and in fact necessary to support candidates, but it's what YOU do that's important in life.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Well, yeah, but it was based on the comment by the front desk woman the day you showed up with an actual smile and she said something about you being a bundle of sunshine. Might have been the best laugh either of us had there.
    And kind of a dick? Don't sell yourself short.

In all seriousness, I've known Sunshine on here a while and in person since the Seattle outing in 2008. He has his dickish moments but he's far from a dick. Makes me shake my head a lot with some of his political views, but I'm also happy I can call him a friend. In that, you know, we all have a dickhead of a friend kind of way!! (smile emoji to show I'm not being serious about calling him a dickhead)

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

This is the first presidential election where my wife and I have had substantial political discussions with our kids (my son is 17, my daughter is 15).

My son claims he would vote for Trump, but that's mainly because he likes to "troll" us. He's adopted the live-and-let-live mentality many of his North Idaho friends inherited from their parents.

My daughter (thus far) seems to have inherited my political genes. She had a Bernie yard sign in her school locker and is very critical of Hillary. Because she thinks the Green Party is "a bunch of old hippies and wannabes," she said she would not vote in the presidential race. It's interesting to me how many teenage girls despise Hillary — maybe it's just my daughter's "squad" of friends.

And all you Hillary fans can rest easy ... the only other voting member of my household, Mrs. Coco, is in her camp. Pro-Iraq invasion vote and all ... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.