1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

But as long as I am doing fine, who cares, right?

2. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's why they're partisans.

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I think they should become the all-Bernie all the time network.

Their demos would be much more appealing to advertisers.

Seriously... Yes it worked for a moment in time... but their viewership is rapidly aging and shrinking. It's also very set it its ways. 65 year olds don't like to try new brands.

The Fox News money comes from cable subscriber fees, and with cord cutting these days..........

4. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

If you're trying to win my vote by telling me how shitty the economy is, it would probably be really, really helpful if I wasn't able to look around at my own life and go, "are you sure the economy is terrible?"

But please: Tell me how the terrible economic environment has affected you.

5. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Glad you are doing well. I am looking at overall growth rates of 1 % and artificially low interest rates.
    If the Fed were to raise rates now it would tank the economy. Chinese economy is not doing well. Is there a point they would stop buying our T bills? That would not be good. Individually I would say save as much as possible and do not take on debt and you can weather any storm.

old_tony likes this.
  6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Arriving at a conclusion as to whether a given economy is good or bad is awfully challenging. You start by asking, "Did this economy coincide, roughly, with when my guy (or gal) was in the White House?" If the answer is "Yes," you then ... stop.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Economy perhaps not as awesome for people who can't afford another college degree and then don't have the ability to choose from among 10 JOBS!!!! with a 50 PERCENT RAISE!!!, or whose investments haven't grown because they don't have investments.

But they don't live in cool cities so fuck 'em.

Hokie_pokie, Tarheel316 and old_tony like this.
  8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Is the economy better or worse than it was under the last president?

Do you think Trump's economic plan would make it better?

9. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Might be helpful if you were to take a more macro approach to viewing the economy.
    Didn't you read Tom Friedman. We are now in a Lexus / Olive Branch economic world.

10. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

You've made the comment at least twice that conservatives say bad things when disgruntled-- while liberals kill.

McVeigh was pointed out to you.

I've resisted going down this particular rabbit hole, but at this point, I need to go 'whoa whoa.'

How quickly you've forgotten the Charleston shooting.

And the Atlanta Olympic Park bombing.

And the Sandy Hook massacre, in which the shooter was right-wing and pro-gun--- and was reportedly inspired by the Norway massacre, in which the killer was a right-wing extremist.

I think we can all agree that murder and massacre on any end of any spectrum for any reason is horrifying.

There's enough bloodshed in all directions such that "keeping score" or making broad generalizations is pointless.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Leave my artificially low interest rates alone, dammit!

Lugnuts likes this.
  12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Historical GDP comparisons don't mean squat in the post-crisis economic environment. In fact, the economy in the US has had a much stronger recovery than other major industrialized countries in Europe and Asia and is currently performing better. But until we resolve the issue of wealth/income disparity resulting primarily from globalization, robust growth like back in the day isn't going to occur. Meanwhile, the dollar is strong, inflation is non-existent, employment levels are good (not great because of the stagnant wage growth and underemployment), and we're in the second-longest bull market in history.

It's silly to even suggest Obamacare has anything to do with GDP growth or lack thereof.

P.S. One of these days we should have a discussion about what an outdated and ridiculous metric GDP is and how we might better measure our progress.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.