1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

He's such a great advocate that his platform condemns the Supreme Court's same-sex marriage ruling, comes out against transgender rights and mentions conversion therapy for children.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yes, I am.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Just saw this. Not paying attention to this thread. ... In this case, it was a lot of people covering bets they had already made -- to protect themselves in case. Markets, in general, were getting complacent factoring in a Clinton win. It has nothing to do with her "policies," as people on here see it. Markets prefer certainty and predictability, and it seemed certain she was going to win.

A number of currency trading desks had started playing the USD/MXN currency pair over the two weeks prior, which had been under pressure every time Trump opened his mouth for quite a time. They saw value there, and were factoring in that Trump wasn't going to win the election.

In the space of a few minutes with the FBI news, the odds of Trump winning jumped a bit, and that changed things. There were A LOT of traders potentially caught on the wrong side of trade that had the potential to spiral quickly-- and information was scarce at first. That leads to panic, or in the case of reasoned traders, a "get out and take your loss, rather than gamble." So people started to unload their MXN longs. When in doubt, get out.

That sent the Mexican Peso falling sharply, which was what I was watching. I didn't touch it -- it's not a pair I have ever traded, although the peso used to be the most liquid and widely traded emerging market currency (not as much the last year or two). But I had RSI (relative strength indicators) telling me it was very oversold, which would typically tell someone with the guts and an understanding of market psychology that it's the time to go against the herd. Some people call it "the puke factor." When a trade wants to make you puke, because it is scary, it is uncannily the exact right time to be buying (or selling).

For what it is worth, as the news has filtered through, that overreaction has tempered quite a bit. If you had sold into the frenzy, you could be exiting right now with a pretty nice quick-hit profit. It's not something I did, though. I was in other positions I was desperately trying to manage. I was just watching that and some other markets and shaking my head.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

He didn't write the platform. A committee did.

He's ahead of his party on this issue, which is the definition of leadership.

Obama, Clinton and others didn't lead. They were cowards. Their support followed their party's support.

6. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

LOL

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Oh, you lied about that.

8. Dick Whitman

No, I didn't.

9. Dick Whitman

His fucking name is on it.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Has he referenced it once on the campaign trail?

We see this every four years in both parties.

The candidate doesn't write the platform and isn't bound by it.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.