1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 14: Still no dumb title

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by QYFW, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Rhody, all stadiums have traffic, but not all have as limited public transit options as Foxboro, have ticket holders from such a wide geographic area and most of all, have a stadium out in the suburbs accessible only by major highways already crammed at rush hour. The road from my house in Lexington goes right over Rt. 128. I remember driving over it one Monday night a couple years ago when there was a Pats game at Gillette at 6:30 p.m., when rush hour has almost always eased significantly. Nothing but red taillights headed south. That's 35 miles from the stadium. I remember driving home from a great many Pats night games. This is after interviews, writing and filing, mind you. You hit Route One and it's bumper to bumper at 1 a.m. while this reporter has the cheery thought, "I'm the only driver in this jam who hasn't been drinking."
    Foxboro for night games is a major pain. FedEx Field for the Redskins must be worse, because it was horrible for a 1 p.m. game the only time I was there. Meadowlands has easy pnblic transit access from Port Authority. Philly is at end of subway line. Soldier Field you can get to by transit. Same for Raiders stadium. Tampa is a pretty bad location. So is Miami (unless you're from Ft. Lauderdale). LA Coliseum is not good. Pittsburgh is right downtown. Ditto Cleveland and Cincinnati. Downtown stadiums sit at the place where, no matter how bad the transportation system is, it is designed to get people there and get them out. Foxboro is the opposite.

2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

In my head, with my fear of driving in anything that resembles a city, going to a game somewhere like Pittsburgh, Cleveland or Cincinnati seems like it'd be harder to get in and out of. Is it more public transportation in and out of the stadium? Or just more outlets from lots? Where the hell do people park in those cities?
    For me, the traffic in and out of Gillette isn't that bad. I'd rather get in and out of there then trying to get in and out of Fenway. Again, that's because I hate cities. Hate, hate, hate them.

3. Michael_ Gee

Many people share your sentiments even if I disagree. But it's indisputable that cities are designed to have lots of people in them and Foxboro, Ma. is not.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The Rams were behind 7-0 after 7 seconds of the game. Fumbled kick off.

Jared Goff has absolutely no internal timer. None. He really looks like the dumbest qb I've ever seen.

5. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

They should have gone to a running clock when it was 42-0.

poindexter likes this.
  6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I don't know as I hate 'em, but I sure hate trying to drive in them. I've had two really bad experiences. Once I was trying to get back to a friend's apartment in Pacific Heights in San Francisco and ran afoul of some one-way streets ... I was less than a block away from his apartment (I could see the building) but somehow missed a turn and found myself heading back across the Bay Bridge. Got turned around in Oakland, headed back to San Fran ... and damn near did it again. Wound up saying the hell with it and sort of cut across a one-way street to get to where I was going.

My other story is from late January of 2000. I'd flown into Logan on a Sunday night for a campus interview at (then) Bryant College. My interview on Monday was over around 2 or so, and I had a late flight out. I made my way north, looking intently for the exit to Logan. All the exits and off-ramps were under construction and I was terrified I'd miss my turn. Despite my best effort, I missed it. Wound up right in downtown Boston -- right smack in the middle, actually -- at 5 p.m. as a light snow started falling. Kept trying to guess my way around and kept failing. Finally got back on '95, headed way the hell south and started over. Didn't miss my exit this time, but I did miss my plane.

7. Michael_ Gee

Boston is a pretty special case for driving, as in, avoid whenever possible.

Rhody31 likes this.
  8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Too many rotaries and they should be called circles.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That is so great. I hope I never have to drive that goddamn city again so long as I live. I probably plowed over some founding father's grave stone at some point trying to get to BC's stadium.

dixiehack and bigpern23 like this.
  11. Michael_ Gee

I have lived in Boston metro area for over 40 years, never more than 12 miles from city center. There are parts of town, big parts, where as a motorist I'd get lost inside of five minutes without a GPS.

sgreenwell likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted