1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the Santa Claus-dying kid story made-up b.s.?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 12, 2016.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I saw a really good point made in the reader comments:

"So...you guys sought him out, wrote the story without meeting your own verification standards, published it and got his face all over the news, and now you're saying it might or might not be true? Wow, I feel pretty bad for this guy, especially if his account is true."

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Just that it's getting a lot of traction now that the story was fake.

I'm kind of surprised. I didn't think anyone would care enough to debunk it.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

No one cared enough, as I recall, to ask whether Kevin Ward grabbed Tony Stewart's race car, when it was fairly obvious from the video of the incident, so I can see your point.

YankeeFan likes this.
  5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Maybe the family hasn't come forward to say he's their son and the story is true, because they were all killed in the Gatlinburg fires. Have you truthers thought of that?

6. Dick Whitman

If that were found to be true, the loony tunes who so desperately want this story to be true would consider it a true Christmas miracle.

TigerVols likes this.
  7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If a terribly ill 5-year-old didn't die on Santa's lap, I don't even want to believe in Christmas anymore.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  8. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

People really want to believe a five-year-old died and we are the horrible ones for doubting.

9. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Some people in the media never learn. On Monday, we have that sappy Santa story about the dying child, and outlets ate it up. Posted and reposted, despite it being a one-source story very light on verifiable detail. Then, someone gets the idea that it may not be on the up-and-up. People start trying to verify, and the original publisher backs slightly off — they can't verify elements of Santa's story, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's fiction. (Though I believe it is.)

So, days after tripping over themselves to post Santa's story, I see a crapload of the same people breathlessly running stories with the headline that the tale is "unraveling."

Not "may be" or "could be." Whatever happened to journalistic standards?!?!

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Remember when all the sick children used to speak eloquently and expire peacefully at Christmas?
    Those were the days. It's all gone to crap now, and the holidays have gone to heck in a hand basket if kids are not expressing emotionally mature and touching sentiments while serenely passing away.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
    HanSenSE and Ace like this.
  11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Beats the heck out of me.

[​IMG]

12. Dick Whitman

It is remarkable to me that the one 5-year-old already thinking about Christmas two weeks before Halloween happened to have a nurse who had the biggest attention whoring Santa in the state on speed dial. A true Christmas miracle.

You know who I'm the most pissed at right now? The TV station that breathed new life into this nonsense today by reporting that it verified "critical details," but couldn't tell us what they are. What horseshit.

Draft saved Draft deleted