1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Want a job? Work for free and send your resume in a box

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jan 27, 2017.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm not against unionization. Really.

I think sometimes union leadership screws their own employees by trying to win an unwinable fight.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I would have a much easier time accepting unpaid internships if they took in high school grads, and trained them, so that they didn't have to go to college. (Obviously wouldn't work for doctors, lawyers, etc.)

But to ask folks at Northwestern (including students in the journalism program) to write for free should result in your legs being broken by a union rep.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I interned for four semesters and two summers at two papers while I was in college and grad school. At one internship, I got paid ($7.50 an hour!) and at the other I got credit hours towards my degree. I think those type of internships are fine.

sgreenwell likes this.
  4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Small sample size, but - I was one of the last year-round interns at a local daily, 2004 and 2005ish. I'm still in the business, albeit barely. (Part-time by choice.)The four people before and after me, one is a full-time reporter, two did that job before seguing into good PR jobs, and one went from the internship directly to a good PR job. So, I think the percentage can certainly be higher than 30 percent, and I'm almost positive all of us got really positive references from our supervisors.

(Counterpoint though: The weekly newspaper owned by my chain has a different internship program. They give them way less responsibility, and also, less oversight. Quick ballpark estimate in my head, I think their rate is probably closer to 30 percent as far as people still in the journalism, PR, writing fields.)

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I'd push back with this.

When I was 21, I didn't have any value in the sports writing market. One news writing class and that was it.

That's why I didn't have an issue with working for free for six weeks to make the connections until I got a paying job in journalism.

Six months later, using those connections and skills, I was clearing $500 a week (20 years ago) writing articles and working as a sports producer at a local station.

I wouldn't have gotten there trying to beat out the 37 journalism students ahead of me for the one prized paid journalism internship in the city.

They all had bylines.

I only had spunk and, yes, I worked for free.

Yet within six months, I was working full-time hours, making full-time money and those other students were applying for grad school because they hadn't found anything in journalism that paid and they didn't find a way like I did.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

And you wonder why writers wages are so low. If you don't value your work, why should others?

OscarMadison and cranberry like this.
  7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

LOL @ "full-time money." You would have been making more at K-mart.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I have respect for those who turned a free gig into a paying one. I know it can happen. But I wouldn't recommend it to someone who asks me, much less tweet it to my hundreds of thousands of followers. (Or in my case, I'm not tweeting it to my 278 followers.)

But free writing has never been cheaper than it is now, if that makes any sense. Everyone's got a blog or a site. If you wrote for free 20 years ago and got published, that was still an accomplishment because you had to find newsprint somewhere. Now you write and click, post, done. Not special.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This is very true. A major metro freelance gig was coveted and for good reason.

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Not in 1997.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Working for free is not only stupid but it undercuts people who insist they should be fairly compensated.

12. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Diversity only matters for others. #journalismcreed

YankeeFan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted