1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that referring to segregation as an example of the virtues of "school choice" is going to piss people off no matter who says it.

Or maybe I'm off base, and Jim Crow would have been fine with everyone if its architects had pointed out how many more water fountains there were for people to use.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

When people do the "need the EPA to tell people what to do, or else they will poison the water supply," thing, they have no clue that they aren't being progressive (the way they think), they are being statist.

We are a nation of laws. We don't punish people preemptively (and without due process), to ensure they don't somehow harm others.

Look at it with regard to any other thing we want to restrict. ... Something small, for example. We have laws against shoplifting.

We don't have a Commerce Protection Agency. We do it the way FREE societies do it. We have a criminal and civil court system that deals with people who DO shoplift (or cause others all kinds of harm, from little things to big things).

The "EPA solution," and what it practically became (which was entirely predictable when the agency was created) for shoplifting would be to create a bureaucracy (subject to lobbyists and corrupution. ... entities able to buy competitive advantages) that sprawls all over the place, and morphs into something that requires expensive permits for people to shop, and restricts where they are allowed to walk when they enter a store, restricts what merchandise they can touch or look at and how, etc. and costs them time, money, choices in what they can buy, etc.

And if people question how costly and inefficient it is. ... well, they get told that we absolutely need that system and appointed tools "regulating" our behavior, because without them we wouldn't be able to make sure that there is no shoplifting.

3. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

You won't answer this question, because you never do. But just in case ....

The EPA should have left the abandoned mine alone because:

a) The company which created the original mess would have cleaned it up.

b) The mess wasn't actually doing any harm, and should have been left alone.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

As somebody who has actually worked with the EPA's Water Quality Division on issues relating to my private property, I am glad the agency exists.

As somebody whose old hometown allowed untreated sewage to flow into a nearby river for nearly 20 years and only made efforts to stop because the EPA stepped in, I'm glad the agency exists.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Nobody should try, nobody should take preventive measures. Because the court system (that big business has rigged to its benefit through the benevolence of "tort reform") will save us all.

The rich man on the hill may be your friend buddy, but he sure ain't mine.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

7. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Go try to breathe in Beijing on any given day and then tell me how much the EPA sucks.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Preventative measures = Big Brother.

No thanks. I'll take individual rights (with all of the potential harm others might do to each other). ... over Kim Jong Un or Nicolas Maduro or whatever more righteous appointed administrator of our lives that you think you judiciously are going to give us.

I find it arrogant at best. That we need you to tell us who is going to dictate our lives for us.

Predictably, it always gets sold as "preventative measures." What we end up with are power-hungry and corrupt bureaucracies that exist to feed themselves and become more and more "preventative" about what the people it now rules over can and can't do.

You reap what you sow.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Are zoning laws = Big Brother too?

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Indeed. Segregation by respectable means.

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Sure have been a lot of companies that dumped lead, mercury, dioxin, etc and then went out of business rather than pay to clean that shit up.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

They can be.

YankeeFan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.