1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

As a rational thinking being, I understand all of it.

But there's this other part of me that says: "Donald Trump is a fucking clown. Why is everyone acting like he's not?!"

2. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

There are degrees of clowns.

3. Dick Whitman

But he's been a well-known circus act for three decades. I guess some really don't see him that way, just as there are actual fans of the Kardashians.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I'd give even money odds Pence will be president by Christmas. And if so, it's because Republicans fling Trump into a volcano trying to hold off the shitstorm building for the 2018 midterms. If the Democrats take the House, all these piddly pro forma investigations are suddenly going to have real teeth behind then.

5. Dick Whitman

I feel like the House is a total pipe dream for Dems, even if Trump tweeted out the nuclear codes.

poindexter likes this.
  6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Maybe, maybe not. The Dems are in way better shape now than the Republicans were at this point in 2009.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Agreed -- he's a bully and a clown who plays the sames notes again and again.

Someone wrote on Twitter last week that Trump is a 70 year old bullshitter who has been lying his way out of trouble his whole adult life. No change in his behavior, just the level of scrutiny and the stakes involved.

heyabbott likes this.
  9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

How many to get to Kevin Bacon?

DanielSimpsonDay and CD Boogie like this.
  10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

11. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Not so much that. It's just that a large chunk of his support comes from people who are fed up with "The Swamp," and they just see Trump as the ultimate anti-politician. Some of those people will vote for The Rock in 2020. The problem, of course, is that while having an outsider in D.C. is good, in theory, the reality -- and I mentioned this long before Trump even got the nomination -- is that whoever is running the show HAS TO be able to play the game to some extent. Obama, for his lack of experience, picked it up quickly. You have to build up some backing and goodwill (phony or not) to get much of anything substantial accomplished under our current system. D.C. politicians are a vindictive, power-hungry lot. They need to be placated. Trump is not a placater. Again, that is good, in theory. But that clash of styles is going to be a constant source of frustration/amusement, etc.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Oh, I think some people damn well knew he was a clown, or close to it, and voted for him anyway, because they wanted to indict the American political system, which is full of calculated liars and professional sophists who squirm out of straight answers with good-but-empty words.

I mean, between Trump and Ted Cruz, I swear to God, I take the boob, Trump.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.