1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Clowns to the left of me...

Batman likes this.
  2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

It's shooting fish in a barrel. Give me 1000 words worth of space and I can find five vignettes of moronic liberals, too, week in and week out. Fuck, the mayor of NYC is going to gleefully march behind an unrepentant terrorist in a few weeks. Spare me the canonization of one Charles Pierce because he caught half a dozen minnows with a seine.

And, for the record, I don't give a shit either way about Confederate statues. Leave 'em up, tear 'em down ... fine by me.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Guy's waiving a subpoena in my face, bringing in a special investigator, calling me a motherfucker, and blah blah blah...

4. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Nope, but we must cleanse our land of monuments to the unrighteous!

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Even if you loved the Confederacy, why would you want a monument to Jefferson Davis? That's like a SEC school raising a statue for a 3-9 football coach.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Davis is (was) the embodiment of the "lost cause" myth. He was lionized not for victory but for projecting the image of the unvanquished. He was hated as President of the CSA. Only when he endured his post-war torments (largely) unbowed did he become relatively popular.

Hermes likes this.
  7. service_gamer

service_gamer Well-Known Member

I honestly don't know why that would be a bad thing. If it's a fear of erasing history maybe do what some suggest for steroid users in the hall of fame:

'This is a statue of a traitorous enemy of the United States that stood as a monument for x years by southerners who refused to acknowledge that they celebrate a country who engaged in war with the US for the entirety of its existence.'

Kinda wordy, but I'm just workshopping it.

FileNotFound likes this.
  8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If it winds up with Chuck Schumer getting his ear sliced off with a razor, I think I can dig it.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  9. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I have no time for people yearning for the halcyon days of the CSA, but I also want a big sign at the Jefferson memorial detailing his neanderthal views on race.

10. service_gamer

service_gamer Well-Known Member

I would have no problem with that either. Reminds me of Dave Chappelle's bit about our currency basically being "baseball cards for slave owners." I think those Neanderthal views should be noted, particularly for Mr. All Men Are Created Equal.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Biden opens up about Clinton...

In addition, Biden told the audience that he never thought Hillary Clinton "was a great candidate," which also received claps from the audience.

"No man or woman should announce for the presidency unless they genuinely believe that for the that moment in the nation's history they are the most qualified person to deal with the issues facing the country," he said.

Obama Administration VP Biden Says He Could Run for President But "Probably" Won't

YankeeFan likes this.
  12. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

Wasn't the whole Confederacy just a failed expansion team? Like if the Seattle Pilots only wore road greys?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.