1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Before I read the story I thought that was what was happening. Lafayette Park is likely to draw a far different crowd than they want (not that the tenant across the steeet will be home to see it).

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

There's a historic plaque in his honor in Apalachicola, FL, where his early versions of air-conditioning were used during a yellow fever outbreak. One of the other off-shoots to his invention was the development of ice machines. A great American who deserves much more credit.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Bro hug?

dixiehack likes this.
  5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

That was great, but Cruz was as dumb as the Sierra Club guy there. The S.C. guy was spouting off on a statistic he was completely mis-interpreting, all while Cruz was letting the opportunity pass because he didn't know what the fuck he was talking about either!

#democraticprocesses

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Child, please. Also the ridiculous statement that all in her position say when playing the victim card, that evil powers are out to suppress her freedom of speech. First of all, the government can't, and it hasn't, because she's still out there yapping. I could give two shits about her photo and the fake Trump head. She has that right. There are no grounds to arrest her any more than someone burning an American flag can be arrested. But if she gets fired from jobs and sponsors drop her as a result of her actions, tough shit.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

House and Senate hearings are almost always a let down, because the questioners would almost always prefer to make statements, and don't know enough about the subject to ask good questions.

The exception might be when they have a special committee, and they let their hired counsel ask questions.

Still, the folks who are most sure that climate change is happening, is man made (or at least we're a major contributor), and requires drastic action on our parts to correct, almost never want to talk about the science. They don't want to make the data public. They don't want to submit it to peer review.

They want to declare it settled, and closed for debate -- which I'm told in other circumstances is frowned upon.

8. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I don't think there's a debate that it's happening. I think there's a debate as to why it's happening.

My thought is that I don't know why it's happening. But regardless, the actions that can be taken are good for the air, good for the water, good for the planet, good for new green jobs. Good for the future. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me to to try prop up coal or other dirty forms of energy in industries that are on the decline and will never come back. (Cue the newspaper joke). And I think it's beyond cynical and awful for Trump to have made these people believe he's bringing back these jobs.

Can we stop climate change? Hell if I know. But the things being done to try to stop it are good things.

So why not aggressively pursue them? I'm aware the Paris Accord is largely symbolic. But it's an issue that we can and should be leading on. Ditching it lessens are standing in the world and will likely harm our economy.

The only reason Trump did what he did was to stick a finger in the eye of his enemies (who happen to be more than half the citizens he's supposed to represent).

That's not leadership, that's being an asshole because he thinks people are being mean to him.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What was he expecting? HR to sit down with him and give him a plan of corrective action to improve his rating?

This isn't some union job.

Every time I've gotten fired, it was without notice. That's how it works. No one tells you, "hey, we're going to fire you next week."

Specifically, according to sources familiar with the matter, at no point in the weeks and months before Comey's termination did Deputy Attorney General Rosenstein or Attorney General Sessions tell Comey they were uneasy about his leadership or upset over what Rosenstein later called Comey’s "mistaken" decision to announce the results of the FBI investigation into Hillary Clinton's private email server last year.

The failure to flag any such concerns to Comey before terminating him is part of what makes the former FBI director feel so blindsided. It's also part of the story he's planning to tell lawmakers next week when -- barring a last-minute schedule change -- he testifies publicly for the first time about his axing, and about alleged collusion between Trump associates and elements of the Russian government to influence last year's presidential election.

As one source put it: He’s "angry," and he wants the public to understand why.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

How dare the servant class have feelings.

11. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Starman pictured bottom right...

[​IMG]

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This is nicely written and thoughtful, but pretty much wrong-headed in every way, to me. It is insanity to toss money inefficiently down a rabbit hole because, at some level, it helps the environment. Would you pay a BMW's price for a tricycle because both of them get you to the grocery store?

Staying in an Accord you concede is "largely symbolic" is "leadership"? No. Getting out is.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    QYFW and YankeeFan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.