1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Looking at the photos of the firearms carried by the militias and those carried by cops on scene, I can say a lot - if not most - LEOs on site were outgunned. They were carrying sidearms while the wannabe SEALS were toting ARs plus sidearms.

Also, too, the state police commanders on site told the governor that.

But keep working on blaming the LEOs for what happened.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I have zero sympathy for Nazis.

I'm also not going indulge in anti-Nazi fantasies of violence, and don't think they serve any more noble service than the prison rape fantasies that you call out on a regular basis.

I don't even disagree with @typefitter's thought that some people deserve to be punched. I just can't bring myself to supporting the guy who chooses to deliver the punch.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The antifa, which has few if any redeeming qualities, made up a small subset of counter-protestors who were all offended and horrified by the original demonstrators and felt the need to stand against it.

The Unite The Right rally participants were not a subset of anything. They were the whole show. If you showed up with them, it was because you endorse their hate and intimidation tactics and share their desire to subjugate ethnic, religious and sexual minorities. Full stop.

4. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Oh Jesus Christ. This is worse than when you drafted Adrian Peterson.

Big Circus likes this.
  5. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Lone wolves?

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Nothing ended worse than that!

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I'm not a sociologist, and I am not sure I can even play one on the internet.

But we've noticed huge shifts in teenagers in general. Getting their DLs much later. Can you explain to me why over half of the local McDonalds workers are age 25+, and english isn't their first language?

There is no frigging way you are going to make me believe that the local McDonalds owner would rather have a 30 year old ESL worker manning the McDonald's cashier, rather than a local girl from the high school.

My 23 year old daughter has a friend she went to college with - my daughter is starting grad school, and her friend is starting law school - the friend's FIRST JOB EVER is this year, working at starbucks. And she doesn't come from money.

There have been tidal shifts in work habit changes in like one generation. My son may be the last kid I know who cut the lawn for money for a neighbor.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

They should be -- even if it's to protect the racist clowns.

As shameful as their ideas are, if they have a permit for their demonstration/rally/march, and they abide by the terms of their permit, they deserve to free from violence.

I know people don't like to hear this. I know Nazi's, and their belief's are evil, but, yes, they should have the same rights to voice their ugly, unpopular speech, without the fear of violence, as anyone else.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This is bullshit, and it's the same bullshit that got recycled on repeat regarding Collin Kaepernick.

The president presents as a Nazi sympathizer surrounded by possible white nationalists. Just because someone's own great grandfather wasn't herded into an oven doesn't mean he or she has "little to protest."

It's called empathy.

amraeder, Donny in his element and JC like this.
  10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

A lot of this stems from competitive college admissions. Duke doesn't give a fuck if you worked at Dairy Queen.

lcjjdnh likes this.
  11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I understand and agree with your sentiment regarding the extent of culpability in the end, but that doesn't negate YF's point, or even Trump's, as I think he actually intended it with his "many sides" comment. It didn't go over well, but the truth is that, without confrontation, none of yesterday's worst events would have happened. The best thing would have been for those counter-protestors to have stayed away, and let the neo-Nazis' fire extinguish on its own for lack of oxygen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.