1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

East Coast elites gonna East Coast elite

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

No, I am not surprised that the coastal elites who run, write, and read the New York Times would find it surprising that somewhere else has something nice.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I may understand those who disagree with Dick here, but I'm not going to be one of them. Big Apple elitism is a big peeve of mine. Has been for a long time. They don't have the market cornered in culture, class and intelligence.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

New York's a great city and I could live there very happily if the circumstance arose (it won't). But it is just as if not more provincial than the places New Yorkers call provincial.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Remember on "The Office" when Michael Scott would express surprise whenever a colleague didn't conform to every base racial stereotype that he had bought into?

The New York Times is Michael Scott.

cyclingwriter2 and YankeeFan like this.
  5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I would've estimated about 95 percent of the country would know nothing about Gary other than its status as a world-renowned shithole.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Just wait till Juilliard gets their football team.

franticscribe likes this.
  7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Me. I enjoy it every year and we spend less than 400 dollars on a week-long vacation.

Because not everybody can afford the Virgin Islands, but everyone deserves to enjoy the day at a clean, enjoyable spot near the water.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

400 bucks? I'm on my way! :)

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Up close and personal I've only seen Lake Michigan when I've been to Chicago. I never realized until recently that it had "beach-y" aspects to it.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I have to be honest, I didn't know there was a beach scene in Chicago until I came out on a business trip about 20 years ago.

I don't feel like it's often mentioned outside of Chicago, and coming from New York, the beach is somewhere you had to go to.

I knew it was on the lake, but I had no idea you could walk to the beach. I stayed at the InterContinental, and walked over to Ohio Street beach and was blown away. It had never occurred to me to pack a bathing suit.

North Avenue beach is a scene during the summer, an we like Montrose beach because dogs are allowed off of their leash, on the beach, and in the water.

Donny in his element likes this.
  12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Does anyone actually go in the water up there? It has to feel like 9 degrees or so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.