1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. service_gamer

service_gamer Well-Known Member

I'd be willing to find something in between our current border enforcement spending and a useless, multi-billion-dollar monument to racism and paranoia, but per your narrow definition of compromise that wouldn't work.

I guess if I tell my nephew that I'll buy him an Xbox game of his choosing for his birthday, but only if he lets me punch him in the gut as hard as I can, then I can be justified in saving money on a gift and ridicule him for being unwilling to compromise.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Why the is this even an issue?

As a country, we have all kinds of issues. ... One of them is NOT second-generation kids of Mexican immigrants who are mostly just trying to live their lives and want to be left alone.

On top of it, making them an issue like this puts irrational nationalist rhetoric ahead of economic sense, because they are a large enough group that economically what they produce benefits the rest of us to a not entirely insignificant degree.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Do any of the "Words Matter" folks here remember that we weren't supposed to pay for the wall at all?

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

They're brown people and fun to stomp on. WINNING! MAGA!

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Trump (in written statement somebody else wrote) and Sessions today stressed their desire to limit LEGAL immigration. Why are we pretending there's any grounds to this except racism? I'm an old white person, but I don't think a society of only such people would be much fun to live in.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Indeed ... limiting legal immigration would definitely lead to a society consisting only of addlepated white libs from the Northeast.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Immigration is one prime way economies grow. Japan's insistence on maintaining ethnicity is a major factor in its anemic growth rate of the last 20 years.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

To me, this was always the biggest problem with having a bullshit artist in the oval office. Words don't matter. He will use endless bullshit to try to permanently obscure the truth to try to create his own truth. And when that new truth becomes inconvenient, he won't even blink at creating new bullshit to obscure it and create a whole new truth.

This kind of behavior is typical of populists. In banana republics it works fine, especially when they succeed in his tact of demonizing "the media," -- which is a threat to that kind of populism when it speaks actual truth to their bullshit.

The thing is, the U.S. is not a banana republic. I agree with you. ... Whenever that wall nonsense comes up, he should be getting slapped back with, "Go get Mexico to pay for it, the way you said." If you don't let him get away with his bullshit, you neutralize him.

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

They've been trying to pass something for the Dreamers for sixteen years now. The closest that Congress has come is a bill which passed the House but didn't have the votes in the Senate. It is possible that Congress will do the right and decent thing by these kids who are American in all but where they were born, but given the prostrate spinelessness of Congress and the political posturing involved, we'll probably boot 800,000 kids who are busting their asses to do what it takes to become citizens living the American dream... but fuck'em, we got enough brown people, right?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

No, Trump just signaled that he knows kicking out the Dreamers will be unpopular, and that he does not want to take the blame when it happens. He's going to stick Congress with it instead.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Pretty damn Presidential, if you ask me ...

QYFW likes this.
  12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Before DHS issued the memo creating DACA, President Obama said he did not have the power to enact such a program.

There are lawsuits on the books that will strike down DACA. The DOJ is not in a position to argue in favor of a program they know isn't legal or constitutional.

The problem with DACA is not Trump.

QYFW likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.