1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2017 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rainman, Dec 29, 2016.

1. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

So now Corbin is winning clean over Styles? Wonderful. Guess AJ's push is over.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It may accomplish two things: 1. Get Corbin's title reign established; 2. Allow Styles to move on to the WWE title scene, where he can chase and eventually beat Jinder. Then, at WM, he defends the belt in an epic against Nakamura.

Or, the E's writers are just fuck-ups.

JimmyHoward33 and Tommy_Dreamer like this.
  3. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Amid rumors that WWE fired a writer that took pictures with the Bullet Club during that invasion a few weeks back, it's good to see that some talent still had a sense of humor

Big E has a question for WWE Legal

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  4. Baron Scicluna

5. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I figured they got the belt off him so he could make a run at Jinder, but there are plenty of ways to do that without having him lose clean to frigging Baron Corbin. It just doesn't make sense to have him lose to the US champ and then get a run at the WWE champion. Of course, making sense isn't something the WWE tries to do much lately.

6. JimmyHoward33

I'm always one to bitch about their booking but I think AJ's way over enough to eat a loss (not totally clean since he "got hurt" outside but still clean by todays standards) and come out the other side more than fine. And Corbin needed the rub after losing the briefcase and getting murdered by Cena.

Read a rumor AJ might get involved with KO and Sami though, teaming with Shane. No. Just no. Antyhing other than AJ Styles squashing Jinder and getting that title back to relevance ASAP is a huge mistake.

sgreenwell likes this.
  7. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Oh god no. That would be fucking ridiculous.

Part of my issue with the Corbin stuff could be that I just think he's nearly worthless. Feels a lot like Test when they tried to make him a thing back in the day.

8. Baron Scicluna

I wouldn't go so far as Test, who acted like a tall guy even though he wasn't. I'd compare him more to a Barry Windham, who can be a good upper midcarder, but you want him nowhere near the main event unless you match him up against the top guy.

Tommy_Dreamer likes this.
  9. JimmyHoward33

Corbin's an interesting one. His main roster run has been somewhat underwhelming and rushed.

I don't now if its needing heels with the brand split or the money they're paying him as an "ex-NFL" guy, but he feels like a guy that would've benefited from a main event run in NXT. He needs reps.

I'm not suggesting he has the natural ability of a Tommy End/Allistair Black, but the look's similar, and I just see OK one guy spent years getting reps/cred on the indies and will no doubt be NXT champion before his call up and the other didn't do any of that....and the results kind of speak for themselves.

10. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I think Corbin needed to beat Styles to have any hope of being taken seriously. He was booked like crap for months (apparently getting punished for calling out the WWE's doctor over CTE) and only won the title because he stole the pin from Styles after Styles hit Tye with his top-rope forearm. Another dodgy win and he would have been dog food until, I dunno, Apollo Crews beat him for the title.

Plus it's AJ Styles. He has credibility for days. He could tap out to Ellsworth and still be taken seriously. This won't hurt him a lick.

By the way, the Andre the Giant Battle Royal has been a great big pile of nothing w/r/t getting guys over. Cesaro won the first one but he continued to not get the push his talents and personality seem to deserve. Big Show won, but basically he kept Big Showing along. Corbin won in his main-roster debut and has largely looked like a mediocre goof since. Mojo Rawley ... who I didn't remember won the damned thing until I googled it ... is stuck in a go-nowhere slow-boil team/feud with Zach Ryder.

11. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

They really need to turn Ryder heel and go full on troll to the WWE Universe. But they lost momentum for that when Ryder got hurt and Mojo had to carry on solo. They've missed a good feud IMO by not having Mojo chase Jinder for the title because of what happened at Mania in the ATGBR, would've made sense at least.

And Corbin does have some bright spots. At NXT House shows he got to showcase some of his personality and it came off great with the crowd. He does have some charisma, just not showing it at this point.

12. JimmyHoward33

Jinder did say he had unfinished business with Gronk in an interview last week, lol

Draft saved Draft deleted