1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Me, too'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 15, 2017.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Definitions are key here. If you're asking about the universe of things that could lead to a "me, too" post, I'm sure there are plenty of those in my past. If you're asking about PWSA (pre-woke sexual assault), I can't recall any instances. Same if you're asking about workplace sexual harassment.

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

easier for me? what on earth are you referring to? You can take whatever position you want; it has no bearing on my "ease."

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I don't know it. It's what I think/suspect. We're having a discussion, and I believe the point I was trying to make is a valid one.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I think you're probably right. And I think @Neutral Corner's "many men want to believe" non sequitur was a nice way of completely mischaracterizing what you were getting at.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Right. I'm assuming nearly all of the posts are about workplace harassment. Again, I don't think I'd be at fault there. But does mocking women's basketball count? Because then I'm dead.

SnarkShark and doctorquant like this.
  6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

No, what on earth are you referring to? I saw something taking root in the media, a sentence construction that I believe is not supported. I stated my position. When people misrepresent my opinion, I explain that my position is narrow.

What “trick” have I used? How am I being an “asshole”? In what way does this strike you as “trying to justify a law degree”?

Occam’s Razor: I believe in my position and have thought it through.

HC likes this.
  7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The Movement of #MeToo

For all the frequent grumbles about the passivity of most forms of Twitter activism, this was a moment in which the form fit perfectly with the message: The goal of #MeToo, as Milano’s friend told her, was simply to give people a sense of “the magnitude of the problem.” Waking up to a feed dominated by women discussing their experiences of harassment and assault, it turns out, will do that. For more than a week, social media has been filled with stories told by women about their interactions with the producer Harvey Weinstein, accusations that range from verbal coercion to rape. But as horrifying as the allegations against Weinstein have been, more appalling still is the sense that his behavior isn’t uncommon. That in industries across the world, from media to music to modeling to academia, women have encountered their own Weinsteins and have deduced, for whatever reason, that nothing could be done about it and nobody cared.

The power of #MeToo, though, is that it takes something that women had long kept quiet about and transforms it into a movement. Unlike many kinds of social-media activism, it wasn’t a call to action or the beginning of a campaign, culminating in a series of protests and speeches and events. It was simply an attempt to get people to understand the prevalence of sexual harassment and assault in society. To get women, and men, to raise their hands. Recent revelations about the alleged abuses of Weinstein and Bill Cosby and Jimmy Savile and R. Kelly have proven that truth has power. There’s a monumental amount of work to be done in confronting a climate of serial sexual predation—one in which women are belittled and undermined and abused and sometimes pushed out of their industries altogether. But uncovering the colossal scale of the problem is revolutionary in its own right.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Not so. He might be right... but frankly, I doubt that most of us have taken so much as an informal survey of our wives, female friends, and co-workers regarding this. It is at best a sensitive and awkward subject to bring up, but this is a moment where the Weinstein story has opened it up. Some famous women have stepped up and spoken about their experiences, and other women have followed that with being willing to do some of the same.

"I suspect" or "I doubt" is an opinion, nothing more. Do some women overreact or upgrade the description of someone making a pass at them to "sexual assault? I'm sure some do. This is a much more sensitive time. Do some men get falsely accused as a result? Again, I'm sure some do. That said, to simply assume that some larger percentage of the women who have posted "Me too" are just jumping on the grievance train without cause seems to be minimizing them without data to back up the assumption.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

CD Boogie's Razor: Gillette

I don't argue purely for argument's sake, man. You're always itching for a fight, looking for ways in which someone has misrepresented your "narrow position." It must be everyone else's fault.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't either.

dooley_womack1 likes this.
  12. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I was pretty timid in my dating days, but I've made moves that were rejected before. Upon rejection, I always stopped. I'd hope that wouldn't qualify.

By what appears to be its current definition, I've been "assaulted" multiple times, including times when I was drunk, and the other party was not.

Draft saved Draft deleted