1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Even The Wolf likely can't clean up Harvey Weinstein's pending troubles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Could you back this up with evidence?

Please show us the specific words in the post that "read word for word" this way to you. Because I honestly don't recall anyone here saying anything like that.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  2. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Remember, Rick's original persona was milquetoast guy who didn't care enough to put any effort into his work. The latest schtick is his overcorrection. But he's still not putting any effort into his "work."

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Original post that started this:

That's a very clear 'women in the industry don't really belong there.'

Another poster later:

And that's a very clear "They don't even really want to be there."

Same old shit.

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Well, first off, I think it's a wild stretch to spin those observations into a claim they're saying "women who make it don't really belong there and don't want to do their jobs." They did not say that, instead that's how you've self-servedly spun their statements.

Second, have you ever, for a moment, considered that those observations might actually be true? And are not just fabricated proof of an evil misogynistic agenda?

Based on my experience, both @exmediahack and @PCLoadLetter (minus his Lavar Ball takes) are really good posters, rationally minded, seem like really good people. And they're both career TV people who each have decades of experience in this industry--you have none--yet you conceitedly act like you know how their industry works better than they do.

Do you think it's at all possible that they're simply trying to convey knowledge to you, instead of offensiveness that Captain Righteous must strike down?

6. RickStain

If I need to know how all the buttons and dials on Sports Night work, I'll ask them.

In the meantime, nobody's immune from societal misogyny.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Oh, for fuck's sake.

This is absolutely true. Women who are good at the job move up in the business far, far faster. Not an arguable point to anyone who has worked in the business. (And again - not a complaint. I understand why it happens. I have no problem with it happening. To deny it happens is to be silly.)

Probably 95% of the young women looking for TV jobs coming out of J-school are looking for jobs in news or weather. Five percent want to do sports. Calling that a very clear "they don't even really want to be there" is just being ridiculous.

You sound like a guy trying desperately to get laid in his women's studies class.

FileNotFound, YankeeFan and JC like this.
  8. PCLoadLetter

I've been posting here for 15 years and somehow I've managed to turn myself into The LaVar Ball Guy. Sigh.

On the bright side, when Lonzo, Gelo and Melo are all suiting up for the Lakers I will look like KING of the WORLD!

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

FWIW, I quite like you on threads not related to Lavar Ball.

But on that one, man, I'm your mortal enemy.

PCLoadLetter likes this.
  10. RickStain

"Women who are good at the job" is a lot different from "As long as they can pronounce Krzyzrwski"

11. PCLoadLetter

Well, honestly, shitty ones move up faster too.

12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

They move up faster because most news directors pay little or no attention to the actual details of a sportscast.

It's fairly easy to fool a news director during a three-minute sportscast on a demo reel. It's much more difficult to fool them in a ten-minute newscast reel. They craft newscasts every day. They likely produced them for years. They can dissect those like a scientist splitting an atom.

Most of the producers and anchors I worked with only pay attention to sports in making sure it doesn't go over the allotted time before the final weather and the goodbye. They didn't pay any mind to a well-written sports lead or good flow during highlights or finding something interesting or memorable from the video.

I've been in rooms and on hiring committees where a news director has said, to all of us, "who was the best female of the applicants? If she isn't white, even better."

We hired one of the 2 applicants out of 250 applicants who fit that criteria. Passed over people with 7 years of on-air experience. People who had worked in the market. One applicant who was from the city and had interned with us. He had three years of busting his butt in Market 180 and begging to come home. Nope. Sorry, pal. You did everything we asked but we are going with someone with no experience.

The person we hired had no on-air experience. Instead of learning the basics about the two Power 5 conferences in the market, she would work on makeup tips with the news anchor.

She botched the scores, refused guidance, did not understand that a touchdown was good for six points or how two-point conversions worked.

By the second week of the college football season, my news director (who went against my recommendation on the hire) called me and begged me to anchor the news AND the sports on football Saturdays until Christmas. So I did. Long days. It was fun but exhausting.

I hadn't done sports in seven years. Like riding a bicycle because I had done 5,000 sportscasts in my career to that point -- often in small markets where you have to do everything. Shoot. Edit. Track feeds. Put the scores in yourself. It was fun to return to that for a few Saturdays.

Meanwhile, the new hire would just clock in, shoot a small college football game, then go home and watch TV all day and get paid. No one in management wanted to confront her.

After six months, they let her go after two probationary periods. Our newsroom failed her because she wasn't ready to be on-air and the news director didn't want to accept that she wasn't ready until the volume of emails and phone calls was too much to ignore.

It wasn't her fault she applied. Always buy a lottery ticket in this business. Never know who will like you.

Of course, she moved to do sports in a mid-level NFL city. Still hadn't gotten better. Still said "and they lost the game 10 to 35."

Now she's in a Top 10 market. Anchoring weekend sports. What a business.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.