1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You should be concerned that the President of the United States so often needs you to translate for him.

2. outofplace

You would have more credibility if you didn't almost always find examples of stories that work against your favored party when you make this argument. I write almost always because I'm sure you have one or two examples in which you pointed out something a more conservative outlet got wrong in your back pocket for just such occasions.

3. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

On a related note, have you noticed how the date has only gotten higher since Trump became president? It's higher now than it's EVER been! MAGA!

Donny in his element likes this.
  4. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

My personal cause is that the media at large not self-immolate. I have a bit of a stake in it.

But by all means, link all the mistakes the media made in service of your side.

The media has not figured out how to deal with Trump. Repeatedly making mistakes only helps him. Are you fine with incompetence that strengthens Trump? Because Trump supporters are. Are you secretly a Trump supporter and that’s why you think it’s OK for the media to keep fucking up?

5. outofplace

There have been plenty of mistakes by the media on both sides. There have been false reports that were intentional as well, and those also came from both sides. You can find examples on both sides, yet your focus is on one. That's why your own credibility is in question when you claim it isn't about defending your political side.

I'm not fine with the media getting things wrong. Conservative media outlets are undermining the public trust as well. That you seem to have trouble seeing that just shows how far you are in the tank for your favored laundry.

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Well, that was fun. The Quinnipiac poll just called me. I was asked about twenty-five questions. I told them exactly what I thought. I didn't always answer "Much worse, somewhat worse, somewhat better, much better."

The lady taking the poll laughed a lot.

First question was "Are you over eighteen years of age?", and my answer was "You got me on a land line, of course I'm over eighteen." It kinda went from there. :p

7. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I just posted that I think ALL these mistakes are bad for the media’s credibility. And again, feel free to link to the same rash of mistakes the media was making before Trump. The media’s overall performance has only gotten worse. If you truly gave a shit about Trump and removing him from power you’d stop making excuses for the one institution that could hold him accountable if it would stop shooting itself in the foot.

It’s almost as if you have no clue what you are talking about yet are compelled to argue with me and offer nothing of substance because you have a narrow, simple and antagonistic understanding of what constitutes human interaction. But maybe that’s just me.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Episode Five: Lies and Allies

Shortly after angering longtime ally Canada with a new round of tariffs, President Trump traveled to the 44th G7 summit in June 2018. It was held in Quebec that year. Speaking to reporters in La Malbaie, Trump said the town's name reminded him of his wife, Melania. She's right over there, Trump said as he gestured towards a cardboard cutout of Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman that was standing in a nearby shop window. He then said, without prompting, that he had never heard of Guy Lafleur or Maurice Richard. "I know them. They were terrible," Trump said.

Slacker likes this.
  9. Neutral Corner

10. Neutral Corner

11. outofplace

I'm not making excuses for the media. I'm pointing out that the issue is media on both sides undermining its own credibility. You claim you think all of these mistakes are bad for the media's credibility, yet what we see from you is post after post going after only one side. And now that you are being confronted with that reality and you know you can't refute it, you're attacking me.

You think the media is worse now, but perhaps part of your perception is that the mistakes are coming in reports that make your political party look bad. That makes it more noticeable to you.

I agree that the media has some trouble reporting on Trump. There is no doubt about that. Have you ever had to deal with a source you knew couldn't ever be trusted? I'm talking about a source that lies on a daily basis and never backs down even when he is caught in the lie. That's what the media is dealing with right now, and many members of that media are fucking it up.

Have you ever considered that part of the problem is a public trust in authority in general, not just the media? The president and his administration are supposed to be an official source. The public is supposed to be able to trust at least most of what comes out of the White House, but Trump and his people make that very difficult, moreso than any recent administration.

Perhaps it would help you to put that broad brush of yours away for a while and realize that the people who disagree with you understand what is going on, too. They offer a different perspective, one you won't even seem to consider, so when truly pushed you fall back on lame personal attacks. You want the media to do better? Perhaps you should also expect better from yourself.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  12. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Line up five shots. Drink!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.