1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 World Cup running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Could also be using it as an opportunity to promote FS1. They've done that with some other big events like the MLB playoffs and NASCAR races.
    Mexico-Germany is a marquee game, though. Gotta figure that would draw in a big casual audience and pop a big number on the mothership.
    Fuck if I know.

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Thank you, will have to try tomorrow, had a lot of housework today.
    I live in a pretty big soccer community and it would behoove me to know something of the game.
    I just don't want to be like the people you watch a World Series game with (who never watch a fucking game otherwise) and think they know everything about baseball after doing so.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I’ve been a Ronaldo watcher since 2003-04. He can be a miserable and self-involved teammate. But it’s great to see how much he loves playing for his country.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I’ve found the greatest factor in my appreciation for him has been having a good buddy who is the world’s biggest Messi stan. Today was an A+ trolling opportunity.

5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I was looking for an ad that said "viva el sabor de gol" but this one will have to do

[​IMG]

HanSenSE likes this.
  6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Not to get too sentimental, but that brings back happy childhood memories with my dad watching soccer on the weekend. I love that call.

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Enjoying a deliriously wonderful Father’s Day.

It’s me, my daughter, my son — and SEVEN of his soccer teammates watching in the basement at 5 am. Kids will be coming and going all day.

Son is the team goalie. Thus, we have some rules.

If you’re a striker, you have to bring a dessert because you always get the glory in the paper or on TV and you have to serve the defenders.

Making omelets and French toast now. Ribs for lunch for the Denmark game. Brats for the last game today.

Every kid on the roster has RSVP’d. Good for team building.

Unexpected conversation point... one of the Muslim kids telling us how he plans to get through Ramadan next year as it’s during the majority of the season in 2019. Interesting perspective.

8. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I don't watch a ton of soccer, but if Portugal is a good team, then Spain is crazy good.

And Ronaldo just reminds me so much of Arod. It might be unfair, especially when Ronaldo carried his side to a tie with Spain, which I guess is almost as good as a win in group, but every time he touched the ball, something good happened.

Or maybe Ronaldo is like LeBron (hi, Stoney!), where he is just so fucking good but does not have the horses around him.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I am up at 6 am watching Argentina Iceland in vegas.

I took over 2.5 goals.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Iceland!

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

1 1 after 23 minutes. Great game so far

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

What a save on the PK.

Draft saved Draft deleted