1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Confirms what I've thought for a while. Tobin is a partisan hack, not a serious reporter.

2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

If I required a medical procedure that was illegal in my state, I would leave my state.

3. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Silly debate. Abortions will be outlawed by 2020. Punishable by death. Ironically.

4. SnarkShark

This is what needed to be done, regardless of the SC appointment. Be active and be motivated to vote in the midterms and in every election that follows.

lakefront likes this.
  5. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Bill Ayers tweeted something similar. Be like Bill Ayers!

6. SnarkShark

So you don’t want people to be active politically and vote?

7. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Of all the people to respond with something I didn’t say ...

Being involved is great. But it’s a loooooong way from ranting on Twitter. Any mope or retired terrorist can do that. Related, 10 percent turnout in NY primary last night. 10!

8. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Speaking of MOPES :), I'd like @YankeeFan, QBAWL @QYFW and @Rainman to pony up their expert analyses :cool: of Daniel Dale's excellent running account of Trump's remarks Wednesday night ...

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    HanSenSE likes this.
  9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

This court has proven to be strict constructionists, with firm regard to precedent - except when they don't don't want to be.
    I will say this to the people on the right - their money was well spent. A neat trick loading a SC with picks from Presidents who didn't carry the popular vote (one with an SC assist).

But the facts are, the states aren't gerrymandered. Republicans have the Senate and the Presidents won those states. The Dems need a new playbook and a new leadership team.

10. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Why am I so scared of living in a real life Gilead? It comes down to another question: Why would a person who would never have an abortion be pro-choice? (Asked no one.)

I had a miscarriage.

I had always toed the line about choice and the right to a safe abortion. Still, you never know what you'll do until the rubber hits the ice. There was no way I would have aborted the baby I was carrying. Plans for graduate school changed and I started looking for universities that offered day care and educational opportunities for the children of their students. Unfortunately, I found out the hard way that I cannot carry a baby to term.

Years later I worked on a field anth program in Tennessee and Kentucky. The subject was the evolution of women's friendships in small towns and farming communities. One of the common threads in those narratives was how women's health was not a utilitarian concern so much as it was a tool of social control, especially when it came to women who were too poor, the wrong color, or not compliant enough. Women who had the bad luck to miscarry were often ostracized. Sometimes they were denied the ability to support themselves and had to move away. Most chilling of all were the stories about women who were thrown in jail because they miscarried.

There were people in my life who let me know they were sure it was God's punishment and it served me right. There was also a lot of moral support from friends at school and my church where I was a sort of fill-in verger. We had a small prayer service for me and my baby. The Book of Common Prayer doesn't offer much guidance on situations like that, but somehow we muddled through.

So here's the thing: I was surrounded by people who loved me, shared my grief, and helped me heal physically, spiritually, and emotionally. The terror and pain those poor women in Logan County, in Red Boiling Springs, in Dickson, in Smith's Grove... I have some idea of what they might have felt, but ultimately, the unanswered pain of losing a child stymies my imagination.

When someone talks about punishing women for getting abortions or making prenatal care more complicated to get because they are afraid someone might abort, I think about the women who lost babies and suffered. We can't go back to that.

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.