1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Funny how for years we were told that the GOP was America-loving and supported the defense of the country against the Russians at all costs.

Clearly, that is no longer the case. I wonder if it ever was?

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The glorious Phil Daniels showed up on the new season of Endeavour last week, playing Thursday's little brother.

3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

In 1970, VP Spiro Agnew attacked criticized elected officials who were "applauding our enemies, castigating our friends, running down the process of American government, attempting to overthrow tradition regardless of whether it's been proven effective and workable or not."

None of that matters anymore.

Spiro Agnew and the Rise of the Republican Right

HanSenSE likes this.
  4. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

If you want a second term for Donald Trump, you're completely lost, and the country (and probably the world) would be better off if you would unplug from the political process.

But good news! The 2020 Republican Primary - and yes, someone in the GOP will run against him - is going to be a blood bath, and Trump will have to run on his record. Then again: When he runs on his record, he'll just say whatever he wants and the deplorables (that means you, YankeeFan) will eat it up, possibly because they're fucking morons.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah. It's really sad that Spiro Agnew isn't held in the same high esteem by today's party.

It's especially sad when you see how Democrats still look up to FDR, LBJ, and Clinton.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Yeah ... that pretty much covers it. And it's why I'm afraid we're looking at four more years.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Two of the four presidents on Mt. Rushmore owned slaves and TR believed in eugenics.

It's especially sad that we look up to them.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

OK. Play this out for me.

Who's going to run against him, and what kind of traction do you think they'll get?

Trump's popularity with the party is much higher now than it was when he got elected. A guy like Kasich would go nowhere against him.

Jeff Flake? He wouldn't win a single state.

And, anyone who is moderate on social issues would have no chance.

If anything, it would just give Trump a chance to campaign, and run up a bunch of big victories.

Contrast this with the shit show that will be the 2020 Dem primary, and I can't wait.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I don't see any blue font, so if this is a serious post, it's within current GOP thought they look up to a man who resigned after pleading no contest to charges of tax evasion.

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

11. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Donald Trump goes to a NATO conference and castigates our ally because "they get 70 percent of their energy from German!" and you cheer him on. It's not sort of true. It's not true in a way. It's a fucking lie. And all of this, days after he wrote off Putin's background in the KGB. Because ... I don't know.

And this is the person you want to be President. Because you're either a moron or .... I don't know .... something else not good.

Don't bother with your whataboutism reply. You're a non-thinking, talk-radio consuming moron, and the rest of this country (and especially sane conservatives) needs to shout you down until you crawl back in your hole.

12. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Trump not knowing what NATO is and its history is pretty scary. It's not just about the United States defending those countries (and those countries paying for protection ... what is this, the mob?). It was our response to the Soviet build-up in Eastern Europe and making sure we had our own allies and and protected interests there. We did it peacefully through a strong treaty while the Soviets were doing it through force and rigged elections. That was the Cold War, for crying out loud. That fact that the Eastern Bloc crumbled and Communism fell while NATO remained was a triumph, whether you want to credit Ronald Regan, failed Soviet policies or the will of the people in the countries behind the Iron Curtain. We should be thankful that NATO still exists as Russia again grows more powerful, yet our incompetent president thinks it's a bad deal for the U.S. and constantly undermines it.

OscarMadison likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.