1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

lakefront and TigerVols like this.
  2. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I don't know much about doctorquant, but I do know that a year or two ago, I took more than one lighthearted, yet offensive jabs at him about his higher education "war stories". He could have escalated it, like I would have probably done. But he didn't. He's been so even keel over the years that he is now being held to a higher standard than most of us other schlubs.

Iron_chet, franticscribe and HC like this.
  4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

One Democrat said something = all Democrats say or believe this. No wonder you like that Tweet. It follows one of your favorite dishonest tactics.

5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

That has been Limbaugh's disclaimer for years, and how he thinks he's different than the Evil Media. "Look, I'm just an entertainer." I think a lot of these people genuinely do not believe most of what they say and/or post.

6. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I know the feeling.

doctorquant likes this.
  8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

?? It was a funny line. Truly. That’s it.

franticscribe likes this.
  9. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I have no issue with that. It's only been recently that both parties have moved to a fairly specific profile for nominees (Harvard or Yale law degree, noncontroversial legal career in big law, with maybe a splash of government experience, a few years on a federal court of appeals - preferably the D.C. Circuit - and no outlier opinions to their credit). This is almost directly a result of the Bork and Thomas nominations and how polarized and politicized the Senate's role has become.

We've ended up with a court that has little diversity in experience, and I believe that is to the detriment of the institution. We have in the past had justices who had never been judges before, who had been politicians, who served on state supreme courts, as trial judges, as prosecutors and defense attorneys.

It's really fascinating how in a short period of time we have tremendously narrowed the pool of potential justices almost entirely because getting anyone else through the Senate would be virtually impossible. But then we had the Garland nomination and I believe the Senate's failure to act there is going to be as equally damaging to the court as the Bork and Thomas hearings have been.

Donny in his element and Azrael like this.
  10. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

I feel dirty doing this but I think Yank honestly was saying he thought it was a funny line. But maybe I am getting soft (or Yank is getting soft).

franticscribe likes this.
  11. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Just once, attempt taking a post by YF at face value.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Why is it you think that's to the detriment of the institution? Has it made it more ideological? Less?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.