1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I would be more impressed if he spoke up when it happened.

lakefront and HanSenSE like this.
  2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

3. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

He probably wanted to, but c'mon. Proper protocol and all that.

I hope they break protocol, too. But this was a good step going forward, don't you think?

4. Deskgrunt50

It's a step. But I don't think it would break protocol if he said right then that his colleagues/competitors are honest and not "fake news." He could have not asked a question and deferred back to someone else, preferably CNN or NBC.

Yes, very easy for me to say in hindsight. I get that.

lakefront likes this.
  5. Slacker

Agreed. I don't care if it's a media session with Trump or with Sanders, but the media ought to crowd the stage and say something like: "Enough of your constant bullshit. Straight talk or Get the Fuck Out."

We're at the point where the media can do that now. Push the power of the press harder, and against Congress, too.

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I understand the calls for the Fox guy to express his dismay at Trump in the moment, but as a journalist, you're working for your editors and consumers. And they don't care about displays of respect for other journalists. They want their news. Consumers aren't served if, for example, the White House press corps were to walk out of a Sanders press conference en masse in a display of solidarity.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  7. Slacker

I sort of think that at this point it makes a proper statement. But then you have to back it up, too.

lakefront likes this.
  8. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

I was never impressed before with the Bill Maher show as it always seemed to me to be boring talking heads.

However today I stumbled on "Bill Maher: Live from Oklahoma" on HBO. This is stand up comedic genius. He gets almost everything right. Funny as hell, for the most part. Common sense.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  9. Deskgrunt50

I see your point and agree to an extent. But at some point you have to stand up and call a lie a lie. The free press should not serve as stenographers. Fox has legitimate reporters on the beat. They should do their job.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

What the better ones have done is pick up on a question that is brushed off or denied - of course, the WH or the President then go to one of their "safeties" - a fringe outlet that they know won't follow up on a topic they don't want to talk about.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

He's a parody wrapped in a lampoon inside a burlesque.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.