1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

“This is becoming more and more like a Soviet-type of economy here: Commissars deciding who’s going to be granted waivers, commissars in the administration figuring out how they’re going to sprinkle around benefits,” said Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.). “I’m very exasperated. This is serious.”

“Taxpayers are going to be asked to initial checks to farmers in lieu of having a trade policy that actually opens and expands more markets. There isn’t anything about this that anybody should like,” said Sen. John Thune of South Dakota, the No. 3 GOP leader. He suggested the new spending might need to be offset by cuts in other funding areas.

I'm sure there's some healthcare that can be cut somewhere.

heyabbott likes this.
  2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What the fuck are you talking about? Nixon published 10 books, traveled internationally, met with foreign leaders, and was involved in Republican Party politics.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Compared to trump, I miss Nixon. Nixon was a Commander in the US Navy 1942-46 and received 2 Commendation Medals, he laso spent 20 years in the Navy reserves after discharge in 1946. On his worst day he was 10 times the man that Trump ever was or will be.

4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

There's nothing better than post-Watergate Nixon books. It's like reading a book about the Titanic that focused on the quality of the food served on the boat.

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

A story for you YF. When my Dad was a senior executive for a Fortune 500 company in New York in the late '70s and early '80s, he of course attended his share of rubber chicken lunches and dinners. Visiting one weekend, he told me that the previous week he had been at such a lunch, and was seated between Julian Bond and Nixon. Naturally I immediately asked, "what did you three talk about."
    "Baseball," Dad replied.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

And in hindsight and relative to trump, Nixon was a scholar, a statesman, a man of letters and a military hero.

9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

In my day, the people accused of being Russian agents were our opponents, not members of our administration.-RN

[​IMG]

10. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

We all want to be Lincoln. Most of us are actually Nixons. I identify with his insecurities more than any other president. I think he was brilliant.

He also couldn't fucking realize he'd won at life and gotten past all slights perceived and real. In sports terms, he not only would've called out the high school coach at his HOF ceremony because he got cut, he would've had the coach's phone tapped and had him audited.

The more I read about him and from him, I'm convinced he has nothing in common with the modern GOP except for one thing: they both think they've been fucked over by the elites and will use any means necessary to get revenge even after they hold the levers of power, even after they've ostensively won. Whether that's an enemy list or supporting an abomination in the White House.

Slacker likes this.
  11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

As a youngster I came thisclose to meeting Nixon in Miami, his limo pulled up to the Americana for an AFL-CIO meeting as we were looking for a breakfast place. I rushed to shake his hand but was hopelessly blocked by two fat tourists. And, yes, post-resignation he was noticeably absent from the public eye until the Frost interviews, which the emerging journalist in me watched, alone, on a bitty black-and-white TV in our kitchen.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I'll wager a $1M internet dollars that when this is made official, Trump will parade out some family farmers from flyover country in MAGA hats and overalls to discuss what this means to them. Because it's all about the visuals, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.