1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. melock

melock Well-Known Member

2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

More than 18 months into his presidency, Trump still has not nominated anyone to fill these vacant ambassadorial positions: ASEAN, Australia, CAE, Cuba, Egypt, Ireland, Jordan, Libya, Mexico, Pakistan, Qatar, Saudia Arabia, Singapore, South Africa, Sweden and Turkey. This is just a partial list of vacancies.

List of Ambassadorial Appointments

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Were any audience members not members of the VFW?

4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Don't know. It would seem these are members-only events, no?

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

He's saving those for Manafort, Cohen, et al, after he pardons them.

garrow likes this.
  6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Yeah. Unless, of course, the membership failed to fill the joint and Trump called in reinforcements from the MAGA Army.

garrow likes this.
  7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You know how when Trump says, "A lot of people don't know this, but..." it usually means he just learned something?

Well, that's how I feel about Ragu and this post. I checked Nixon's Wiki page to make sure I got the number of books he published correct, and then a little later, I had a serious case of déjà vu when I read Ragu's post, where he poses as some kind of Nixon scholar, regaling is with some of his favorite anecdotes.

Let's take a look:

Ragu: Nixon wrote his memoirs way more quickly than he had hoped to, he did the Frost interviews, because he really needed the money. Or else he might have stayed pretty absent, not so much because that was what he wanted, but because he was being shunned. Not that I am shedding any tears for the dishonest prick, but his lawyers ate up everything he had, and supposedly at one point he was down to $500 in his bank account. The money he got from the Frost interviews helped put him back on his feet.

Wiki: He had hoped to wait before writing his memoirs; the fact that his assets were being eaten away by expenses and lawyer fees compelled him to begin work quickly. He was handicapped in this work by the end of his transition allowance in February, which compelled him to part with many of his staff, including Ziegler.In August of that year, he met with British talk-show host and producer David Frost, who paid him $600,000 (equivalent to $2,730,000 in 2017) for a series of sit-down interviews, filmed and aired in 1977. They began on the topic of foreign policy, recounting the leaders he had known, but the most remembered section of the interviews was that on Watergate. Nixon admitted that he had "let down the country" and that "I brought myself down. I gave them a sword and they stuck it in. And they twisted it with relish. And, I guess, if I'd been in their position, I'd have done the same thing." The interviews garnered 45–50 million viewers—becoming the most-watched program of their kind in television history.

The interviews helped improve Nixon's financial position—at one point in early 1975 he had only $500 in the bank—as did the sale of his Key Biscayne property to a trust set up by wealthy Nixon friends such as Bebe Rebozo.

The shocking thing is that Ragu's version is shorter, but for a guy who's been credibly accused of plagiarism here before, you'd think he'd be more careful about sharing three facts, in the same order, using almost the same words.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Mr. Broidy, who had pleaded guilty in 2009 in a pension fund fraud case, was looking for help courting foreign government clients for a defense contractor he had purchased in 2015, and pushing for policies that favored clients and prospective clients.

DRAIN THE SWAMP

9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I think I'm going to call for a little sense out of you here.

List what you think Trump has done wrong in the course of his presidency. Give us a peek at where your goalposts are, exactly.

I know you're going to act like this post was never written. I know you're going to ignore it. But it would be really interesting to see if you believe he's done more good than bad.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

This has probably showed up on this thread somewhere in the previous 8,200-odd pages, but I still think it's funny:

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Thanks.

Now do Melania.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.