1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

He’s functionally illiterate for an executive. Incapable of reading and comprehending more than a few sentences. He has no grasp of theory and hypothesis. He’s a parrot at best, able to repeat a few words that others repeatedly say

jr/shotglass and Fred siegle like this.
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

garrow likes this.
  3. heyabbott

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  5. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

"And then we got ice cream! And I got two scoops!"

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

This is just awesome watching you jump through hoops to defend this moron.

I have been in tons of meetings with execs, multi multi millionaires, and CEOs.

Never, in our preparation, did we worry about dumbing down stuff.

This is hilarious.

7. heyabbott

It’s sad actually. It doesn’t appear to be trolling. It appears to believe.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Who says it was dumbed down? The original article is behind a paywall, but the article linked here says this:

European Commission chief Jean-Claude Juncker reportedly used brightly coloured flash cards to explain international trade to US president Donald Trump.

The pair met at the White House earlier this week for trade negotiations and Mr Juncker used cards with simple language and easy-to-understand explanations, according to a senior EU official who was at the meeting and spoke to the Wall Street Journal.

“Each card had at most three figures about a specific topic, such as trade in cars or standards for medical devices,” the paper reported.

The official said the EU team of negotiators was aware it was “not an academic seminar”.

The meeting, according to the senior EU official, went well with Mr Trump appearing “charming” and “well-briefed”.

Sorry, but that's just wise strategy for anyone making a presentation.

This is only a story because how it's been framed, and because people's preconceptions.

9. heyabbott

Eisenhower did the same thing with Churchill to explain D-Day

Iron_chet, matt_garth, daemon and 2 others like this.
  10. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Interesting take.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I have no idea what happens now that the meeting between Jean-Claude Junker and Trump is in the rear view mirror, and the optics will have to give way to action or inaction.

But to the extent that it does away with any tariffs, silly regulations and the corruption that goes with both of those things (and I am not hopeful of any of that), it is a great thing for consumers. People should be mindful of that.

I have always said that you can do a free trade agreement on a cocktail napkin. Get the governments out of the way and let anyone choose to to trade with whoever they choose at whatever terms they both freely agree to.

I have no faith that is where we are headed. The EU has never been about that. It's been all corruption and mindless bureaucrats who have never held actual jobs outside of their bureaucracies, dictating everything to everyone else. And our president is a populist idiot, who seems to have no clue when it comes to the concept of comparative advantage and believes that the purpose of trade is to protect businesses (ones he favors), and not for consumers to have as many choices as possible at the lowest costs possible, in order to enhance their standards of living.

heyabbott likes this.
  12. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.