1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Remember, the death rate is a lagging statistic. The infected number includes those at the very outset of the illness, but it takes patients who are the most seriously ill about 3 weeks to pass away from the virus. We're just getting started.

Donny in his element likes this.
  2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yup. Just my daily snapshot of Colorado shows -- we are way, way, way behind on deaths.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Very good news here. 50k a day isn't as much as it sounds, but they're in the pipeline and hopefully more production can be ramped up. That production line needs to run 24/7.

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Plus, Italy's death rate is compounded by its higher percentage of elderly (23.1% over 65 in 2019) and the lack of ventilators. By contrast, the oldest U.S. state is Maine (!!!) at 20.6%, followed by Florida at 20.5%. The biggest upset Maine has pulled since the Lady Black Bears beat Stanford in 1999.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    tapintoamerica likes this.
  5. Neutral Corner

6. Neutral Corner

I catch myself allowing my fears and my imagination to make me worried and depressed. Then I look at these pictures and I am so freaking grateful for just how well off I am. We take things for granted. I look at the picture of the guy who is carrying his wife, who has a broken leg, and it resets my bearings. We're lucky and all have a decent chance to get through this, certainly a far better one than these poor people.

I don't think that having hundreds of thousands (Edit - millions) of people walking hundreds of kilometers will help with isolating people, either. I'm so grateful, where a couple of minutes ago I was down.

Photos: In locked down India, poor migrants are on a long march back home

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  7. Neutral Corner

8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

So it appears my mom is doing fine but the guy who punched her apparently got spit on her. The doctor wants to do a precautionary round of Hep B and C and HIV tests which will likely come out negative. But what really pisses me off is mom is now being quarantined for Coronavirus. She has a scratchy throat which might just be from screaming but the current environment, never know. Really really pissed especially because this guy is still on the street.

Mom is talking me off the ledge saying she doesn't want to go down the road of resentment. She's probably right as I was going through a list of things I could do from the impractical to wildly unhelpful. All I know is my mom will not survive a bad bout of this but she's stubborn enough to fight off mild to moderate symptoms and still want to go to work. Luckily my sister is there and has a good way about her even for being 20.

9. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

SFIND likes this.
  10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Japan has by far the highest percentage of elderly, and Germany is right behind Italy in third place. Japan has only a tiny amount of cases, and Germany a tiny amount of deaths.

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

According to Trumpists, this man is expendable. He should die right now on the cross of venture capitalism. I'm sure Glenn Beck will volunteer to join him.
    These people are fucking monsters.

12. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

@Spartan Squad, thinking good thoughts for your mother. That man is a monster.

Draft saved Draft deleted