1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

no windows, so this is safer

Azrael likes this.
  2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Wait. Which Christmas movie was that?

lakefront and Driftwood like this.
  3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Here Dumps Santa Claus

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Rural folks often have to drive several miles to the nearest grocery store. The ranchers who live down the road from our hunting property have a 27 mile drive to the nearest store. Heck, I live in a city of 100,000 and the nearest one is 3 miles from my house.

Add in planting season for farmers and blue collar folks still having to work and it's easy to see why the South isn't staying the fuck home as much as urbanites.

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Thank you.

Fred siegle likes this.
  6. Inky_Wretch

7. TigerVols

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    SFIND likes this.
  8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I get it, but those things are true in Arizona and California and Nebraska and New Mexico and Ohio and the Dakotas, too.

And I understand the need to work.

But the general disregard for any kind of sequestration or quarantine in these southern states is also a function of magical thinking, dithering governors and mixed federal messages about the virus.

As Alma rightly pointed out, as bad as things will get in the cities, wait til it rolls through the countryside.

And folks disregarding common-sense restrictions will only make it worse.

9. TigerVols

10. TigerVols

11. Inky_Wretch

I agree with that @Azrael. I've got my Southern defensiveness up thanks to seeing so many people bashing the region over this.

The data nerd in me is enjoying looking at this info scraped from cell phone location data ... COVID-19 Mobility Insights - Cuebiq

What's interesting about my county is the average daily movement plummets on the weekend. We average 3.3 miles during the week, but then drop to 1.5-ish on the weekends.

Batman likes this.
  12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted