1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

1. Russia still lies a lot.
    2. Trouble with both systems is that officials lie to each other, not just the public. Lies go up the line so that senior officials aren't necessarily lying when they say all is well, because the incentives to say all is well to your bosses are overwhelming. So they operate in ignorance. And of course, when systemic self-deception is detected, it must be denied as a matter of policy.

Donny in his element likes this.
  2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Yes, Russia still lies. Agreed.

Somehow, we've got it in our minds - well, the liberal media has - that China's on the up and up here, moreso than the United States.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I really don't know anybody, in or out of the media, who thinks China is more on the up and up than anyone. It is true that once Xi himself decided the virus could lead to social instability, the government reacted swiftly and in draconian fashion, whereas our government continues to sputter due to feckless response in many quarters, White House most of all. That's far from saying China handled this well, it didn't.

HanSenSE and Neutral Corner like this.
  4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

OscarMadison and HanSenSE like this.
  5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The US doesn't have a really free press either. There's a whole bunch of things, if you say them, you go away.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The whole @BTExpress thinks are fortunate because they are still working.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Remember when that liberal president told us China was doing a great job

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

One of the worst things about Trump - and I’m not kidding - is that he plausibly provides a blanket excuse for any opposition to think or do any stupid because, hey, he’s worse.

HanSenSE likes this.
  10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

You going SJW on me, snowflake?

My comparison was American dead to American dead, in simple terms they understand. I've had that one explained away already elsewhere.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

A spectacularly misleading headline.

In the middle of the story:

“Some companies and safety experts say it's not feasible to convert all grocery stores to delivery and pickup-only outposts. Ordering systems for both pickup and delivery are completely overwhelmed by a crush of demand from customers in many areas of the country.

"We have no choice. They have to stay open. [America's grocery] delivery system has not matured to the point where we can switch to an entirely remote system," said Seth Harris, former deputy secretary of labor during the Obama administration.”

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It would be at least fair if you’re going to do the comparison to compare Americans exposed to the Vietnam war versus Americans exposed to coronavirus.

Draft saved Draft deleted