1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I remember when Ford was president he'd vacation in Aspen or Vail, and always bring Coors back with him to the White House.

We used to drive to Montana to get it every once in a while. It's still my go-to beer.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

very funny

also blows up the idea he was being 'sarcastic.'

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Well, for now it seems inapt, because most people couldn't care less about the absolute shoddiness of kids' education at the moment. We're 6 weeks in and still in "how high will the death toll go?" mode. But when you balance the value of in-person education and socialization for kids - you know, the value of public schools, which we do not have right now - against "because science," the conversations shifts the longer school is out and the more education is missed. Ditto for church, and sports, and concerts, and...life as we know it.

We're going to get to June 1 and have 80 and 90-degree temps all over the place and we're going to tell 100 million Americans...what exactly? They can't go outside for anything but socially distant walking? They can't have people in parks, or at beaches, or camping, or in theaters, or eating out, or in church, or on vacation, or in childcare while parents work? No, I somehow doubt we will. Because the deeper we get into summer, the more "OK, we've sat around for months now, we're tired of listening to political leaders enforce inconsistently-made edicts and lean on science and media to justify it" sentiment grows. It's not like a majority of Americans have to feel that way, either. 30-40% makes an awfully loud noise when it comes to stuff like this.

These are not, like aberrant thoughts, really. It's imagining the conversations we might have over the next few months.

4. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

KOOLS, missing them since 6/19/91.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's only idiotic if equate the value of the two things the same. Kids aren't learning much remotely. Kids without good Internet or devices to learn on aren't learning a thing. How long would you like that to last?

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Polling firms really need to do cohort / tracking polls on the “open the country” issue to see how support for stay-home policies wanes over time.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Until it is safe for them to be back at school.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I have a first-grader and my wife and I talk a lot about what she isn't getting right now. E-learning just isn't very easy in a number of ways. The good news is our daughter's reading has gotten a lot better in the last two months because when all else fails we tell her she has to read for a while before turning on the TV. She's also plenty creative and loves being outside, like most kids, and the midwest weather is finally allowing for that. If she somehow picks up some math and science along the way, that's a bonus, and I can't stress about it anymore while trying to work and keep the rest of the house functioning. This might just be a gap year of sorts, not unlike a kid who graduates high school and waits a year before college, and our society might have to start looking at it that way if schools don't open in the fall.

Donny in his element likes this.
  9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

28 hours to get from Atlanta to Texarkana (Texas, not Arkansas) and back with 400 cases of Coors.

Funny thing is that Texarkana, Texas, was dry in the 1970s. They didn't start allowing sales of alcohol in restaurants until 2006. So I don't know if there would have been a beer distributor located there for Bandit and Snowman to pick up the cargo.

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Round trip. Plus the speed limit being the double nickel at the time. I get it now.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Safe for who?

12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted