1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

So they'll go out, dick around and half-ass or ignore the precautions until the numbers spike where they live.

Smart.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I already had that one going through my head when I read qtlaw's post.

Here is the full scene in context.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  3. Neutral Corner

There must be a high rent premium on apartments without windows in Russia. Falling from windows is epidemic there.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Only my anecdotal evidence, but people here are already dicking around and half-assing it, especially at the grocery store. People believe the numbers, which is dumb, since we're one of the worst states in the country when it comes to testing.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I think it might be bad, too. I liked June 1 as a date. (Although, by then, far more people would be absolutely up in arms.)

But what if it isn't bad? Was it just sheer luck - or a miscalculation by certain medical experts? Because the discussion feels very much like a "heads I win, tails you lose" discussion, as if we've already decided the right answer and any other path just gets to a good result by happenstance.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The virus is about six months old. Medical research on every aspect of the virus and its disease is of necessity fragmented and occasionally contradictory, especially given how many different studies are going on in so many different places. That's how research works and it really can't be helped. One thing we DO know is that people, from rural China to supercrowded Queens, have taken serious precautionary measures BEFORE government actions if they felt they were at risk. This is why any premature reopenings are not going to have any economic benefit. If folks perceive a return to everyday life as a risk, they won't do it.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

All the evidence, such as it is, argues for extreme caution.

Barebacking it because you don't believe the science?

No thanks.

The uncertainty of the science is one of the most compelling arguments in favor of the caution.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
    garrow, HanSenSE and OscarMadison like this.
  8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I have no idea what you think I was trying to win or make anyone else lose with what I posted.

You do this a lot. You frame things with some narrative you have come up with and then try to get someone to respond to your cartoon characterizations.

If it isn't that bad in those states, GREAT. Nobody sane wants people to suffer and die because of a pandemic.

Nobody knew the exact perfect societal response to a previously unknown virus, whose mechanism of infection was unknown, whose deadliness was unknown, for which there is STILL a ton that is unknown.

There is only being rational and trying to make decisions in a reasoned way, based on whatever evidence we can discern about it and what works.

For me, that means taking into account the toll of something like the shutdown and weighing it against the risks of not doing it based on whatever knowledge we have.

With those states opening up, I wasn't seeing that, at least it wasn't presented that way.

Medical doctors and infectious disease experts have value to me use in this situation, because they have knowledge and training that most of us don't, not because they are magicians.

If they were magicians they would be able to wave their magic wands and make the whole problem go away.

9. Neutral Corner

It seems to me that the best evidence would be the procedures used in places which successfully fought off the virus. South Korea's response seems like a very good path to follow.

10. Neutral Corner

Well, in a few weeks we'll be able to look at Fla., Ga., and Tenn. and see what the results of their choices were.

Driftwood and OscarMadison like this.
  11. Neutral Corner

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Too late. South Korea's relative success hinged upon massive testing soon after the virus was first detected. Also, the Asian countries have used a form of quarantine in which persons tested positive for the virus and those with whom they had contact were quarantined in separate facilities away from their families and anyone except those caring for them. Think what Fox News would make of THAT.

Draft saved Draft deleted