1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Speaking of which, I miss that little thingy in our profiles that once told us how long we have been on the site.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I don't take responsibility at all.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

"nothing else"

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Make fun of Russian windows all you want, but it seems they have this PPE thing all figured out. :)

I Should Coco likes this.
  5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I see the flu truthers are back out today on the Twitterz.

The fact that the number of total COVID hospitalizations are similar or just slightly higher to what we see in a normal flu season shows that the social distancing worked, not that the entire thing is overblown. Goddamn, people.

8. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

We all knew that was coming.

“But I want my Applebee’s!”

SFIND likes this.
  9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I agree with BTE on this ... we can either say that it takes two weeks for cases to show after gatherings resume or we can say that there is some sort of immediate jump in cases after reopening. We can't have it both ways, and I'm getting a little annoyed at the newspaper headlines that are trying to play it both ways.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Agreed. Also, how many more tests are being done? More tests equal more cases. See what the percentage of new tests coming back as positive is and do that over a seven-day average.

On May 1, Colorado's seven-day average of tests coming back positive was 23.3 percent. Yesterday, it was 10.2 percent -- and that's after the first phase of reopening.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Incubation doesn't follow an either / or script.

Some places may act stupidly and not pay a price with a ton of infections and deaths. It doesn't mean they weren't acting stupidly.

If I put five bullets into a six shooter, and I don't kill myself when I play Russian roulette, it doesn't mean I was acting smart -- even though things turned out OK.

There are probably all kinds of factors related to how this virus spreads that we are not understanding. For example, it may turn out that it doesn't spread as fast as the weather warms up. If that turns out to be the case, it doesn't mean that some of the decisions that have been made were reasoned decisions. They were reckless decisions in which the outcomes were lucky.

It also means that if the same unreasoned decision making continues to drive people's behavior, there could be a huge recurrence in the fall or winter that we won't react well to.

Given where our knowledge has been for the last few weeks, a lot of people are acting recklessly. That is true whether the number of cases spike today, two weeks from now, or don't spike at all. That isn't me having it "both ways." To me, the reasonable way to approach this was to consider all the available knowledge we had about the virus and its spread and make reasoned cost /benefit decisions about the best ways to contain it. That is not what has gone on in a lot of places. And in fact, the decision making process was so reckless at various levels of our Federal and state governments, that they have used misinformation and have gone to lengths to hide and obscure information that they know would demonstrate their recklessness.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted