1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

There's a story of an outbreak associated with a fish distributor in my county where 40 people have tested positive. It was discovered only after the wife of one of the employees was hospitalized.

EDIT: Because LINK!!!!!!!!!ELEVENTY!!!!!!!
    Coronavirus outbreak hits Morgan Hill fish packing plant

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Best possible short-term outcomes.

Those often are not the best outcomes.

And just for shits and giggles, I'll take a Russia example.

The best possible "outcome" is a respectful dialogue of cooperation and compromise that takes everyone's interests into account and makes everyone on the planet safer.
    The best possible "short-term outcome" is to be "tough." Because voters like that shit.

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I’m just going by what Asa said today.

Ah, upon further review, the 455 included a bunch of prisoners - who don’t really count to the Gov. So today was the new high because all 261 were non-prisoners.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Trump's gonna have a press conference on China tomorrow that will show that your post is absolutely correct.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

There are so many people who think this is over ... we're in the second inning, maybe the third.

It ain't that fucking hard.

* Avoid large gatherings
    * Wear a mask inside around strangers
    * Wash your fucking hands
    * Stay. The. Fuck. Home. If. You're. Sick.

Literally, if people would do those three things, it would help tremendously. But, muh freedom and shit.

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Years and years ago my buddy and I were having a conversation about I couldn't remember to save my life and probably imbibing in something alcoholic, but we started talking (I think) about how easy it is to get cheap food today at places like McDonalds etc. I told him that because of things like that, we could never do what we did in World War II with all the rationing. We're so accustomed to everything being right there (and I think this was when Amazon still was a book website) that we could never make those sacrafices. I have thought a lot about that conversation lately because, sure enough, when we're asked to make sacrifices for the greater good (like not going to a bar or not getting haircuts or fill in the blank) we can't do it. We put up the Facebook profile pic of us all sheltering in place and that's fun for a week and then we get annoyed. We're soft today. Our grandparents (or in some cases great-grandparents depending on how old we are) would tell everyone to get a switch from out back cause we need to toughen up.

8. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I think there's a lot of truth to that Spartan. And then you have to throw in the people who aren't following guidelines, because they think they don't have to, or they think the restrictions went too far, or they think their freedoms are bring violated. Would they have followed brownout regulations during world war II?

OscarMadison and Dog8Cats like this.
  9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I'm with you. Also, I meant four things, because I added one later. It's just not that hard. There will be no concerts or sports that we can attend this year. I've accepted that. But can we at least do enough for fellow man that we can enjoy a fucking beer and an app on the patio at a restaurant? Because if we all decide that social distancing and masks are a joke, we'll end up either locked down or all dead. Fuck. I'm so over the masks are tyranny crowd. Suck it the fuck up.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Can't do it?

We DID it. We didn't go to bars. We didn't get haircuts. We did whatever the regulations told us. When the regulations allowed us to do a little more, we did a little more. At least 80 percent of people I see at the grocery store are wearing masks --- voluntarily.

Sure, we bitched about some stuff on social media --- had to bitch about something, and couldn't bitch about bad officials in the NCAA Tournament. But I suspect people in WWII were bitching some, too. And they never came within 5,000 miles of a German or Japanese soldier, unlike the truly unfortunate.

And not for nothing, but WWII boosted the economy --- companies were begging for workers, and wage pressures were so great that FDR froze them, fearing inflation (ANOTHER dictator move, TigerVols). Today's sacrifices are crippling the economy.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  11. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

A casual acquaintance of mine, her father, a WWII combat veteran, was in a veterans' home in Oklahoma, suffering from dementia. He was chugging along as best as could be until ... the daily visits from his daughters had to stop. Two weeks later ... gone. Fucking pussy.

Draft saved Draft deleted