1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I agree, and frankly, I'm offended at that photo, and those actions baiting police who are standing there, doing nothing to these people who must think they're performing live in some kind of joke.

They aren't thinking of George Floyd, either. And you can bet they'll sure as hell be looking to and for the police to help them if and when they ever need them. Which, hell, could have been moments from then if that "protest" turned ugly.

This is all going to have nothing but unintended backlash, and once again, not bring any forward progress, if no actual good ideas for stoppage and change are instigated soon.

Cosmo likes this.
  2. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

That’s a great question to ask the head of your local police union.

also: you think destroying a building is a death-penalty offense?

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I have read more about the civil right era than most and did not remember that phrase. Then again, he could have used one of his fancy search engines and figured it out.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Listen to the lyrics and it’s sad that nearly 50 yrs later the same issues remain.

swingline and OscarMadison like this.
  5. WriteThinking

The point is, what are anybody's actual, reasonable, enforceable ideas or suggestions for stopping this garbage? I'm getting tired of us doing nothing but discussing Trump's tweets and stupidity, and apparently, thinking, "Well, everything's OK and justified, because, look who's the President and look what he does." But I also think that's happening because no one actually knows what to do about it, besides try to "explain" it, ad nauseum.

How will this stop, short of people taking responsibility for themselves and their own destructive actions? Or, as Trump suggests, the use of force? Are we saying it won't, and we're all OK with that, because, you know, justice? Resigned to it, because, what solution is there?

You know, besides stopping the destroyers of what is probably going on many trillions of dollars of property and livelihoods with...more violence, and probably, guns and deaths.

We've been extremely lucky already that there have been so relatively few injuries/deaths in all this.

Liut likes this.
  6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

How about we start by acknowledging the problem and take affirmative steps to CHANGE law enforcement training, like no more kneeling on someone’s neck? And have law enforcement walk with protesters instead of a show of force?

I hate looting as much as anyone but shooting them is ridiculous. You feel threatened because it’s unlawful. But put it in perspective, the looting in total for the past 7 days is (guess) $200M; Madoff stole BILLIONS and did he get shot? Was he killed by police? NO. If you are black and have suffered racial discrimination, you tell me there isn’t something wrong institutionally.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

So far, the vast majority of violent acts have been committed by police. The troublemakers who've jumped on the demonstration bandwagon have done much vandalism and looting, but relatively little violence per se. And the police have been abysmal in stopping looting. It's harder and less fun than assaulting unarmed journalists.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Well, executing Madoff wouldn't necessarily have been a bad idea ...

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

I hope that police do not shoot and kill anyone due to property. I respect that we disagree. Again, I am a peace-loving “Deadhead.”

Fred siegle and OscarMadison like this.
  10. WriteThinking

I understand that, and I don't suggest shooting them is an actually good solution, only argue that it could surely happen. Madoff wasn't in a violent, dangerous situation that is nothing but a widespread powder keg like this is. What's more, it's a powder keg actually ready for explosion, one which invites more violence (like shooting somebody) because the scene is actually set for it. Does anybody actually think that's not so?

11. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Amen.

12. WriteThinking

And who thinks it might only be the police who might shoot some looters making off -- stealing, let's call it what it is -- with hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of stuff that's not theirs, and wantonly destroying landmarks and businesses?

Liut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted