1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I do not want to see anybody get shot at for stealing a pair of Nikes or bottle of Beam or whatever else the looters are taking.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Exactly. This is a time we should be able to look to the president for leadership, but he has failed miserably in that aspect of the job.

HanSenSE and OscarMadison like this.
  3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Don’t mess with K-Pop fans.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

What I find interesting is how quickly his party and his voters abandoned the idea of "leadership" entirely.

As if it wasn't possible or hadn't ever existed as a virtue among "leaders."

Remarkable.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That sticks with me as well. He completely abdicated his position of leadership with COVID-19. Let the states handle testing. Let the states handle supplies. Let the states decide when to re-open, but only as long as they do it his way. His primary focus is on keeping anything bad from sticking to him rather than stepping up and taking charge. I'm not saying I want him to take charge. I don't. He'll fuck it up. But that doesn't mean it isn't a failure that he isn't even trying.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I'm just getting around to reading that oral history piece from Monday and holy fuck, this Hogan Gidley schmuck is just living in a completely different universe from reality. I hope he wiped his mouth after that.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

A big part of this: We've talked a lot about the chasm between political factions in this country, how it's grown since the 1960s, etc.

Despite all that, previous presidents (i.e. before Trump) believed they represented and spoke for the ENTIRE United States.

I don't think Trump believes that. He speaks for and represents "his people." The rest are "the others."

OscarMadison, TowelWaver and Azrael like this.
  8. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

#Biden2020

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Within 48 hours of the beginning of the 1992 L.A. riots, Bush 41 gave an Oval Office address. While hardly perfect, he called the footage of King's attack revolting and it made him feel anger and pain. Bush says he wondered how he could he could adequately explain the video to his grandkids. He also spoke about the pain victims of police brutality felt watching the video.

OscarMadison and Azrael like this.
  10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Powerful video

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Trump speaks for Trump.

Jerry-atric and OscarMadison like this.
  12. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted