1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Irony is in the corner, asking for another bottle of bourbon.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

According to the article, he meant in the region, which isn’t true.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

Anybody who thinks this is shocking has never paid attention to the LAPD.

MileHigh likes this.
  4. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Can’t help but wonder how trump and the far right would react if police opened fire at the proud boys a few weeks back.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  5. 2muchcoffeeman

And the head of your union wears white power gear, refers to your state’s attorney general as a Muslim terrorist and has himself been the subject of at least 20 internal affairs complaints.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Look at the Bundy Ranch thing. Those people were pointing guns at federal agents and nothing happened to them.

Dog8Cats and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  7. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

I’ll make it easier.

First guy who gets caught making a racist statement/action in public, every member of the department gets a five percent pay cut for six months. Second time, it’s 10 percent.

Guarantee all of the “good cops” will be reporting the bullshit overnight.

Dog8Cats likes this.
  8. GilGarrido

GilGarrido Active Member

And you're not reading what I wrote (and maybe if three of you aren't getting my point, then I also didn't explain it well). Of course his past doesn't have anything to do with the fact that he was murdered. "Equal justice for everybody means for everybody, even ex-prisoners who have served their time. Just because he was a flawed human being doesn't make what was done to him any less wrong." How can that be taken as trying to downplay or excuse what was done to him? The whole point of the protests is that African-Americans deserve decent treatment, and I assume the protestors mean all of them, not just those who don't have records. If you're assuming that by even mentioning his past I'm making the argument of the police union head, I'm not, I'm saying that the response to that argument should be, "Yes, he had served time, but so what? Your guy still doesn't have the right to murder him."

If CNN is going to write and talk in detail about his life before he was murdered, that he played football and basketball in high school and basketball in junior college, that he had children, that he moved to Minnesota to drive trucks and to better himself, that he worked at a restaurant, where he always had everyone's back, etc., but not mention the prison time, it's leaving out a big part of the picture of who he was. It looks like CNN is trying to hide things, and it shouldn't feel like it has to.

Liut likes this.
  9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Much was made of Rodney King's drug history at that time.

It's a tricky line to walk.

Liut and Tweener like this.
  10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The news is not all bad. Mountain Brook, Ala. is white privilege personified. This is a moment for folks who live here.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Shove an old man down. Don’t render first aid despite blood pouring from his head. To serve and protect.

Draft saved Draft deleted