1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

How long before the head cheese tweets about Bologna?

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

George Carlin was a man ahead of his time. I denounce myself for not thinking of this and posting it myself.

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Sitting in the backseat while black

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed. That is why this all puts Republicans in such a bind. If they play to the anti-union bias in their base, they piss off the police officers who also make up a big part of their support.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Its not that hard, I’ll go back to my Judeo-Christian past,

“Treat others as to how you would like to be treated”

Would you want to be kneeled on for 8mims for allegedly using a counterfeit $20 bill?

Would want to be hunted down like an animal by 3 men for jogging?

Would you want to be threatened by someone who wants to call the cops based solely on your skin color?

America is so spoiled, instead of simply accepting “that was so wrong; it’s racism” and “let’s find out what changes are needed and make them” and then getting back to working the 12 hrs that day;

instead there’s all this energy into the minutiae “well something must have happened”.

It’s not that hard to understand. What’s hard is owning up to it.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Let's just say for argument's sake that the Minneapolis PD guys go to trial (which I honestly don't think they will......I think they'll plead out, but that's a different story.) and they get found not guilty.
    Can you even fathom the carnage that will take place if this happens?

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Thankfully, if that were to happen (NO PLEASE), it’s after Nov 2020 and after a new President is inaugurated.

8. Fred siegle

Fred siegle Well-Known Member

I was afraid this would happen when I made my original post. In no way am I trying to downplay what the police did. It was murder. Hopefully they get what the deserve. A much needed movement has resulted.
    All I’m saying is at some point I’d like to know the events that led up to it. Not to downplay it at all, just to know how it all came about to put those 5 people in that spot at that time in history.
    Kind of like finding out where and when lee Harvey was before Dallas in 1963.

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

As part of the rally that I went to yesterday, they did the 8 minutes and 46 seconds of silence and many (including me) took a knee. That’s a long fucking time.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

We were talking about this over the weekend, and the answer is that it will be de ja vu all over again vis a vis the Rodney King cops, except a generation that wasn't alive for that will have no clue history is repeating itself.

This has looked like a slow motion train wreck in that regard from the beginning. When they didn't charge right away, they made the mobs wanting justice that much more blood thirsty, if that is possible. Then, they were left with no choice, except to charge the three other cops as abettors, but there is a serious risk that one or more of them walk if it goes in front of a jury, and if that happens. ... kaboom. I'm afraid that it will make the Rodney King Riots look tame.

They should have charged right away, not just in the name of justice, but because they would have been making a difficult situation for themselves as good as possible. Now, there is a good chance there are going to be riots on almost any outcome except guilties down the line and long prison sentences. I don't think they will let them plead for a lessor charge or a reduced sentence, but if they do that, there may be riots for letting them off too easy. If there is even a minor acquital, I am certain there will be riots.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

I do not mean the elements of provocation. I mean to find the minuscule things that make police angry, so we can train them better.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I would also like to know about the events that led up to it — the details of the 18 previous complaints against Derek Chauvin that were apparently not taken seriously enough to drum him out of law enforcement, and why 16 of those complaints were whitewashed. I would also like to know the details of the five complaints against former officer Tuo Thao that were not made public like the one that resulted in an excessive-force lawsuit and a $25,000 settlement.

I would also like to know more details about Floyd and Chauvin’s simultaneous employment at a downtown Minneapolis nightclub, specifically about interactions which may have fueled this confrontation.

Those details are an important part of the roadmap to now.

Draft saved Draft deleted