1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Trump has fans everywhere. And when anybody refuses to wear a mask and gets sick, he can pass it along to one or more others. Just to own the libruhls. Nice mindset.
    There’s one ideology that hates science, education and other things that could help us. And it’s not the left.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

You really think the issues in California among 18-24 year olds is because of Trump? Really?

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

It's pretty simple, really...because Trump and Fox News turned masks into a political tool, a large swath of people (including Californians) refused to wear them. I don't think I need to draw the picture further (about how the bars even in California were packed with people sans masque) but I will if you're still being dense.

Inky_Wretch and SFIND like this.
  4. tapintoamerica

If we’re going to drill down like that, no, I don’t think that’s all him. But if a sizable chunk of the country is going to endanger others just to express contempt of libruhls, you get a problem. And they do it in part because they have cover from the president.

5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

The only thing I'm grateful for in all of this is that I live in a county where 99 percent of people I see at stores or restaurants wear masks. When I'm out for a walk, there's very few, but everyone does a great job of keeping distant from each other (except for a few kids who I have fleeting thoughts of throwing sticks into their bike spokes). I went up to see my mom near Sacramento a week ago for her 60th. Out at a park and socially distant, but we went to get food at an outdoor place and the amount of people who weren't wearing masks or keeping social distance was troubling. Of course, one of those people sans mask and not observing personal space was wearing a "don't tread on me" shirt.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Now we're getting closer to the problem.

You can't have a country promote "rugged individualism" and the ideal of the independent, heroic loner for so long, then expect people to quickly shift to being all about the greater good. Or shift to "let's all work together to solve the problem." I wish it worked like that, but it doesn't.

There is also a sizable portion of our population that simply hates science. It doesn't fit their world view, so they dismiss it at best or despise it/undermine it at worst.

Mix in the fact that our economy is basically built around consumer spending — selling each other hamburgers, beers and entertainment — and you have another reason why everyone wanted/needed/thought they needed to "open things up" ASAP.

Yes, some national leadership from the president or even certain governors would have been nice. But there still would be millions of Americans who wouldn't heed them.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The poli sci research on this is that cues from partisan leaders have an enormous impact. If Trump had worn a mask early and often, millions of the defiers would've followed suit. But the whole credo of Trumpism is "I get to do what I want and anybody who doesn't like it should be punished." Said this so many times, but it needs to be repeated. What we have learned in the last four years is that millions of our fellow citizens are absolute shits.

8. tapintoamerica

In part because Trump's political forefathers have been stoking hatred of $cience and knowledge for decades.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

The Bay Area dominoes are starting to fall. Earlier today, Newsom turned down the "dimmer switch" on re-openings and districts are beginning to announce they will not return in the fall. My local district just pulled the plug and I've seen talk of more around the bay. I'm waiting for word from my district and my sister's if we're following suit.

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Biden should say he will investigate the Trump administration's response to the virus and issue indictments for criminally negligent homicide. Make that moron understand HE's at risk of dying in prison.

lakefront likes this.
  12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The C-minus students in the back of biology class in high school who sat in the back row and shot spitwads at the blackboard up front.

tapintoamerica likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted