1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adaptation to COVID world

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Mar 20, 2020.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

How many people do they actually need for a wedding? Themselves, an officiant, possibly a witness or two, probably parents.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

They will get married next March come what may. They are thinking of the wedding they wish, with as many of their friends and family as is practical, maybe 150. I am in favor of big weddings. There are only two times in a life when you draw a crowd of those who know and care for you, and the second one you don't really get to appreciate.

3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

We set our date for late April 2021 right after Christmas and well before all of this started.

It's going to happen on that date and the people there are the people there. We understand the situation but definitely don't want to be like some friends we've seen that are trying to do multiple postponements because there isn't really an end in sight where you think you can plan for everything and have it be "safe"

maumann likes this.
  4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I know Im gonna be there, but I hope for their sake they get the wedding they desire.

maumann likes this.
  5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Gee, my now wife and I originally planned for June 28, 2020 in New England, about 150 to 175 guests - that obviously was a no-go. We got married here in Texas anyway, but delayed the ceremony with friends and family out to July 2021. I think we'll still have a ceremony on our "new" date, but I'd be shocked if we got more than 150+ for economic and health reasons now.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Back in March, my agency loaned some of my day to the state health dept. to pull data into and format daily COVID reports mandated by the governor’s emergency executive order. I designed it and two other reports that were eventually rolled into one. It grew to 40+ pages of statistics and result tables and was a daily Mon-Fri obligation, with data and reviews often delayed well into the evening.

This week, I trained other graphics folks and handed it back to the health dept. to do. Now, I can take a block of time off. In the middle of Sept. I’ll head to very rural Colorado to close the extended family’s fairly rustic cabin for winter. I haven’t been there in more than a year.

Oh, and tomorrow, we move our son into his dorm for the first year of college, making us empty-nesters. So tonight, we watched “Toy Story 3” and shed one or two tears.

TigerVols, maumann, HC and 1 other person like this.
  7. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Tonight, we went out to dinner for the first time since all this started. Have wanted to do it for awhile but it’s just been too damn hot to eat outside.

We went to a place in our neighborhood that opened about a week or two before the shutdown. Terrible luck. Definitely wanted to support a local joint. Hope it makes it. Really great food.

We’ve done well cooking at home together. But it was certainly nice to have meal prepared by other people and served to us.

maumann likes this.
  8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Bill Belichick's alma mater, Wesleyan, had early drop-off for students to move in their stuff a week ahead of formal move-in. Friend said students were to first obtain verified school ID card, then security staff at dorm would unlock door. Parents NOT allowed in dorm. School followed none of its own protocol: Students were only signed in, no cards issued; security personnel were nowhere to be seen -- doors propped open, and parents freely entered dorm to help lug stuff.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I think this is gonna take a while to sort out.

10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Does the NCAA have something up its sleeve? And did anybody catch that he said "NBA" at about the 27-second mark?

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

A "Battle in the Bubble" t-shirt might sound like a fun purchase in the moment but when all the Covid shit ends, you'll look like a jackass if you wear it.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I bet they donate a portion of the proceeds from shirt sales to like, nurses or student relief funds or something like that, to make it more tenable.

Draft saved Draft deleted