1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

All you coronabros and doom merchants are missing the GOOD things happening thanks to Covid!

SFIND likes this.
  2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

She's right! I can think of 200,000 people right off the bat who are not having to commute into the evil city that's full of violent darkies.

garrow, SFIND, HanSenSE and 2 others like this.
  3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

4. 2muchcoffeeman

Meanwhile, this will probably piss some people off.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

BoDy aRmOr iS PpE!!!

garrow and SFIND like this.
  6. 2muchcoffeeman

7. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

This is so true. I'm classified as a key worker over here in London. During lockdown, there was so much room to stretch out and read on the train. So many delightfully empty seats, so much wonderful silence. It was like being in a library.

(Plus, having lucked out into continuing employment, my piss-poor life choices now seem prescient!)

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And the perfect White House response: It wasn't 2M. Orange slices for everyone!

9. 2muchcoffeeman

How long until this gets walked back?

The Food and Drug Administration is expected to spell out a tough, new standard for an emergency authorization of a coronavirus vaccine as soon as this week that will make it exceedingly difficult for any vaccine to be cleared before Election Day.

The agency is issuing the guidance to boost transparency and public trust as it approaches the momentous decision of whether a prospective vaccine is safe and effective. Public health experts are increasingly worried that President Trump’s repeated predictions of a coronavirus vaccine by Nov. 3, coupled with the administration’s interference in federal science agencies, may prompt Americans to reject any vaccine as rushed and potentially tainted.

The stakes are high: polls show the relentless politicization of the race to develop a vaccine is taking its toll. Pew Research Center recently reported that the percentage of people who said they would get the vaccine if it were available today has dropped to just over 50 percent from 72 percent in May.

The guidance, which is far more rigorous than what was used for emergency clearance of hydroxychloroquine or convalescent plasma, is an effort to shore up confidence in an agency that has made missteps during the pandemic. With the vaccines, the FDA is expected to ask manufacturers seeking an emergency authorization — a far quicker process than a formal approval — to follow participants in late-stage clinical trials for a median of at least two months, starting after they receive a second vaccine shot, according to two individuals familiar with the situation who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss information before it is made public.​

https://www.washingtonpost.com/heal...1CNyZiKAU_hVcKKw-rbkkbH6RKcCAo3Ru_9w_Q8ZTOHIA

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I was deficient in my current events, I did not know about the 1957 Avian Flu epidemic, which killed 70,000-116,000 Americans and 1-4M worldwide. Then, Dr. Maurice Hilleman of Walter Reed Hospital in MD used information about a potential outbreak in Hong Kong and took active steps to develop a vaccine BEFORE it hit the US shores. Hmmmm, not what happened here while the President was saying "its a Democratic hoax" and "not my responsibility."

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

12. 2muchcoffeeman

Draft saved Draft deleted