1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

FWIW, markets have all but factored in a Biden win, and are fine with it. This has been a Jay Powell story, not a Donald Trump story. There is so much certainty right now that it is actually creating more stability than there should be given how ridiculous valuations have gotten on all the money (i.e. debt) that is sloshing around. Increasingly, though, it is handicapping the Senate flipping to the Democrats too. The narrative right now is that it isn't a bad thing; they may undo the tax bill (the only truly stimulative thing for stocks that Trump himself was responsible for), but they are going to go so far out of control spending the country into oblivion (stimulus!) that it will more than offset that.

We may or may not get to that. But that is the preeminent "narrative" right now.

gingerbread and maumann like this.
  2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

We are in the midst of a pandemic, we don’t need exciting. We want stability, reliability. Safe? Maybe but we can’t afford any Ferrari repair bills right now. We need a Toyota Camry.

3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Among the handful of people I know who have contracted COVID and recovered, it's fair to say that most of them are on the Trumpist side of the spectrum. I have to think that even they know that the whole act he's pulling right now is full of shit. Whether that makes a difference or not, I don't know, but the only people who actually think he has "beaten" the disease are people who haven't had it. People who have "beaten" the disease know better. There are some rough days yet to come.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

It should also be noted that Trump's chances of winning in 538's model were closer to 30 percent, and they steadily rose from about 20 percent from mid-October on.

sgreenwell likes this.
  6. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

almost there getting the new tone just right

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I agree it's a bigly problem.

HanSenSE likes this.
  8. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

It probably started before this, but I always go back to the Kavanaugh hearings when I hear this. All of the outrageous behavior by him, Graham and other Republicans in the afternoon following Blasey Ford's morning testimony was painted as "strong" statements and vociferous defense that somehow implied truth-telling. It was weird, like, no reason to check a fact when the statement/act is done strongly. It simply must be true.

9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

One of the houses in our neighborhood has a Ron Paul yard sign. I'm starting to wonder if there's "A Rose for Emily" thing going on in that house.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

That is actually a good point to think about. And something I might consider if I get into a HS civics class again one day.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Take a deep breath and relax, Kayleigh. Oh, you can't take a deep breath?

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

We've had commercials in the Oregon/Washington market too, which was never in play and where he'll lose by a couple million votes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.