1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Of course the other horn of the Biden dilemma is that if he doesn't appear, if he doesn't speak - he gets roasted for hiding in the basement.

Gotta say, though, that any Trump voter at this late date who complains about clear articulation and clarity of thought and purpose in anyone other than Trump might best keep that thought to themselves.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
  2. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

McCain's best chance was in 2000, but the media helped ruin his chances then by saying his temperament was too strong for the job. But then, 16 years later, they gave nonstop coverage to Trump, whose Temperament Meter is permanently stuck on Psychotic. And to date I haven't read or seen any report in which the media ponder that nonsense.

Liut, wicked, garrow and 1 other person like this.
  3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

That, as somebody likes to say, is a very good point. I turned in my ballot two weeks ago and I know a lot of people who’ve already voted — over 16 percent of the county’s registered voters have already turned in their ballots. (Local elections office allows you to track your early ballot, which is how I know it’s not only been accepted but also counted.) I’m not sure who’s even watching these things tonight. Can’t imagine who’s still undecided.

maumann and OscarMadison like this.
  4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

And ultimately, it's not going to help Trump gain more votes. Traditionally, I've always thought that candidates are going to be at their most successful when they get people to vote *for* them, as opposed to trying to rally people to vote *against* their opponent. Trump badly needs to appeal to women voters right now - IIRC, it is where he's lost the biggest ground since 2016. Shitting on Biden for having gaffes probably isn't going to do it, nor is whining and pleading at a campaign rally.

If Trump really wanted to win this election above all else, his best path forward after his Covid diagnosis would have been a weird about face. He would have had to admit he was wrong, and man, Covid19 is really serious, and hey, he probably could have used some bullshit narrative like, "This was when Donald Trump finally became President!" But it's so, so, soooooo against his nature, he can't even attempt or fake humility for a tiny bit, and he's out there talking about how he's immune.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

never tweet

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

If a Republican was going to pick a female from the 7th circuit, you could have done A LOT better (Diane Sykes), but she's 15 years older (62) so why would they waste their time

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

My parents were in on the early days of the Right to Life movement in the early 1970s. They took our family to a couple of national conventions.
    The grand poobahs of the group were hell bent to cultivate "youth leaders" and I guess they regarded me as some kind of prime prospect. A few days in some of their organizing meetings took care of that. Jeezus Christ.
    Nonstop fucking racist sexist and holy roller fundanentalist bullshit.
    I asked a few questions the fetus people didn't like and they urged my parents to send me to a movie or something.
    I was done with it really quick; it took my parents a few years of getting bled out of about $100,000 of inheritance money of my mother's family before they saw the light.
    Oh ... one of the prime concerns at one of these conferences was organizing a guerilla telephone campaign by teenagers to pepper radio stations with requests to make "Unborn Child" by Seals & Crofts the No. 1 album in the country. (I think it peaked at about No. 173 and sank like a rock, effectively destroying their career, which actually had been riding pretty high at that point.)
    Too bad they didn't wait 3-4 years for this to come around, it would have been perfect:

(VERY NSFW)

For some strange reason the Fetus People didn't adopt this as their national anthem. Has a hell of a lot better beat than fucking Seals & Crofts.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    I Should Coco likes this.
  8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

And get Breyer to retired while you are at it.

9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Speaking of which, anyone SEEN Bill Barr lately?

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Remember when Howard Dean was run out of the race for screaming "Woohoo!" ??

Slacker likes this.
  12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

People who even mention Biden’s mental faculties are somehow forgetting the guy in the Oval Office once vomited this gem:

“Look, having nuclear — my uncle was a great professor and scientist and engineer, Dr. John Trump at MIT; good genes, very good genes, OK, very smart, the Wharton School of Finance, very good, very smart — you know, if you’re a conservative Republican, if I were a liberal, if, like, OK, if I ran as a liberal Democrat, they would say I’m one of the smartest people anywhere in the world — it’s true! — but when you’re a conservative Republican they try — oh, do they do a number — that’s why I always start off: Went to Wharton, was a good student, went there, went there, did this, built a fortune — you know I have to give my like credentials all the time, because we’re a little disadvantaged — but you look at the nuclear deal, the thing that really bothers me — it would have been so easy, and it’s not as important as these lives are — nuclear is so powerful; my uncle explained that to me many, many years ago, the power and that was 35 years ago; he would explain the power of what’s going to happen and he was right, who would have thought? — but when you look at what’s going on with the four prisoners — now it used to be three, now it’s four — but when it was three and even now, I would have said it’s all in the messenger; fellas, and it is fellas because, you know, they don’t, they haven’t figured that the women are smarter right now than the men, so, you know, it’s gonna take them about another 150 years — but the Persians are great negotiators, the Iranians are great negotiators, so, and they, they just killed, they just killed us, this is horrible.”

The fuck outta here with Biden’s mental faculties.

Cosmo, gingerbread, wicked and 10 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.