1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

The only hope to dump the EC is the interstate popular vote compact or whatever it's called. That won't get rid of it, but it will make it moot.
    I seriously doubt we see any new amendments in my lifetime. We couldn't get 288 House members, 67 Senators, and 38 states to agree that today is Monday.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

To be fair, for some of the contiguous 48 states, 6 out of the 24 hours is not Monday at some point.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

My buddy, the former press secretary for a House member, said he wants to see a change by the states in awarding the EVs. He thinks dividing a state's electoral votes based on percentage of popular vote would help both parties - but in different states. He thinks both sides of the aisle would go for it.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Thanks for that nitpick, @RTE!

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

We couldn’t get 38 states to agree women should be treated equally to men.

6. TigerVols

If we somehow were to do a clean-slate revamp of the Constitution (an idea which might make for an interesting thread topic) I'd like to see us do away with state and municipal governments and instead have just two -- Federal and County.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Increase members of the House to the same proportion as when the Constitution was ratified.

8. TigerVols

She lost control of the interview early and often. She was cooing and oohing and sounding silly throughout. She was out of her depth and Trump sounded the most normal he’s sounded in the entire campaign. He “stormed out” after her idiot producer interrupted the flow of the interview. No field producer gives verbal time cues that lets the interviewee know they are almost out of the woods. I’ve done dozens of these things and you stand right behind the subject and you use hand signals. She keeps saying “he’s insulting 60 Minutes” like it’s the fucking Vatican. No one cares that 60 Minutes got its arse hurt. They care that she said she was going to ask tough questions and then didn’t. Putin? Russian bounties on US soldiers? China bank accounts? Real unemployment figures and the devastation on Main Street? Calling a black female VP candidate a monster? None of this was raised. Instead it was two septuagenarians arguing over masks while waiting in line at the Luby's Cafeteria for the early bird baked cod special.

9. Driftwood

This is the proposal I use with my students all the time. It seems like the best thing to me. Let's say you state has 10 electoral votes. Candidate A wins your state 60-40. Candidate A gets 6 of your votes; Candidate B gets 4. This makes people's votes actually matter and doesn't put the concentration of power into a dozen or so highly populated counties.

I Should Coco, Mngwa and Inky_Wretch like this.
  10. Driftwood

Well, technically we have, but now some of them want to take it back.

11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I like presidents who aren't cronked out while talking to Lesley Stahl on 60 Minutes.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Right. It eliminates Red and Blue states for various shades of purple.

Driftwood likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.