1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I believe both "teams" are audibling like crazy.

No way you see 100,000 cases in a single day --- in freaking October, with businesses masked to the hilt --- without massive, er, cheating from all sides.

Already seen enough dubious "I did all the right things and still caught it" proclamations to make me skeptical.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Locations where the virus is going crazy, like the Dakotas/rural Wisconsin, etc., are not masked to the hilt. No one wears one. Masks work. To suggest otherwise is wrong, and you know it.

3. BTExpress

That wasn't what I was suggesting. AT ALL.

My point was not all of the "I play by the rules" crowd are in fact playing by the rules. They're fallible, rationalizing humans tired of being inconvenienced, just like the Trumpists. They don't always wear masks, and they sometimes congregate. Just like Trumpists.

Uncontrolled spread is just about everywhere. Maskless ruby red states and mask-loving baby blue states.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
    RickStain and doctorquant like this.
  4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I saw a story a few weeks ago about masks that were being manufactured with a bacon scent/flavor on the inside.

That is how sad this has become, adding stupid enticements to make everyone get on board with it.

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

“Mask-loving” is quite the term. Nobody loves wearing masks. But certain people and certain states show their contempt more frequently than others. It’s hard to love freedumb when you’re dead.

OscarMadison and gingerbread like this.
  6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I can only hope UC Health is doing well with the facilities in Fort Collins and Loveland formerly run by Poudre Valley Health System. It sickens me that the ICUs are running at 91 percent capacity. Can only hope Banner/McKee is better than its reputation during my time in the county.

The "fake news" crap is all Orangeface and the cult he's enabling. The frightening part is that many people in Larimer County are claiming "fake news." That market has been hampered by horrible news coverage run by clueless media outlets.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
  7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

What's their usual utilization?

8. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I can personally attest that is very much possible to follow the rules as far as wearing masks, social distancing, avoiding unnecessary public interaction, etc. and still getting it.
    I got it at work which requires masks and for every person to have their temperature taken every morning.

OscarMadison and gingerbread like this.
  9. BTExpress

What is the "normal" running capacity of the ICU?

Relatively speaking, is 91 percent dangerously high? Somewhat high? Close to normal? Sure sounds high, but I suspect ICUs are typically busy all the time.

Hell, my dad spent 36 hours on a gurney in a freaking hallway after breaking his hip because there were no rooms for him. And this was six months BEFORE the pandemic arrived.

Numbers without a point of reference are useless. We don't even notice things like that around here anymore.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Not just around here. Anywhere. But you’re right that a number without context is meaningless.

RickStain likes this.
  11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Staffing relative to running capacity. Not to be discounted.

We will find out everything someday.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I've been following the county site and it's been more in the 70s and that's during COVID. What it is otherwise? Who knows. I mean, 90 percent means 9 out of 10 beds, no? During the whole pandemic it hasn't gone above 80 until the last three weeks. Are these all people recovering from heart attacks and bad car accidents? Maybe as well. This is ICU specific, so yeah, that seems not great especially if there is a sudden increase. It is not total hospital beds and in that regard there are plenty right now (that is in the 70s). But it isn't good no matter how you shake it if the ICU fills up.

Draft saved Draft deleted