1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I have a friend whose husband works in DC. She's asked him to work at home all this coming week.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

No.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

That's what was said about 12/31/99 as well.

Y2K- maybe the biggest nothingburger of all time.

4. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

A contested election may prove more troublesome than what I'm expecting, which is a relative butt-whipping.

I think the Trumpists will do a lot of saber-rattling and public gun-toting next week, but they've mostly been all hat and no cattle everywhere they've acted tough. They'll ride their boats and trucks and threaten to do stuff. But around here, they'd be burning down their own businesses.

I'm certain there'll be a ring of angry people around the courthouse on Wednesday. But they aren't bright enough to organize a march on Washington or even Atlanta, unless they live close enough to get there. What are the racists in Forsyth going to do, march on the MLK Center? Stand in front of the CNN sign? Refuse to eat at Chik-Fil-A on Sundays?

However, a Charlottesville-type event could occur if enough get emboldened to think the police can't arrest all of them. My guess is we'll see if the Thin Blue Line is too red to take action.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    OscarMadison likes this.
  5. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

There will be bloodshed. I don't think it'll be widespread and I think when it happens, which is inevitable, everyone's going to look around and say holy f*** what are we doing? I think a resounding Biden win, by millions many millions, will perhaps put the genie back in the bottle and all these racists who have felt comfortable being publicly racist will be shamed a little bit and might shut the f*** up at least in public.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Good to bring this back from a few months ago:

Incumbents running and losing:

1992: Bush 37.4%. Third-party Ross Perot got 18.9%. (370-168 EC)
    1980: Carter 41%. Third-party John Anderson got 6.6%. (489-49 EC)
    1976 (doesn't really count): Ford 48%. (297-240 EC)
    1932: Hoover, 39.7%. (472-59 EC)
    1912: Taft, 23.2%. Teddy Roosevelt was second at 27.4% and Eugene Debs got 6% (435-88-8 EC)
    1892: Harrison, 43%. James Weaver got 8.5% (277-145-22 EC)
    1888: Cleveland, 48.6% (233-168 EC); actually won the popular vote
    1868: Johnson lost the nomination
    1856: Pierce didn't get the nomination
    1840: Van Buren, 46.8% (234-60 EC)
    1828: Quincy Adams, 43.6% (178-83 EC)
    1800: Adams, 38.6%. (73-65 EC)

maumann likes this.
  7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Economy. Economy.

I think each would have done fine with a second term.

I'm a little torn on that. Sure seems to have been a lot of crying wolf, but there also were a LOT of preventive measures taken ("Our company is now Y2K ready!") that, without which, who knows exactly what would have happened?

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I was going to say, that Y2K 'nothingburger' was the result of really heroic IT nerd work in the late 90s.

9. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I nearly went over the edge this morning when a friend from my hometown made a one-sided post referring to this info. I choose not to get into it with this guy.
    He said businesses are boarding up their windows in preparation for Trump's pending victory. The liberals will riot and chaos will ensue.
    With all of the significant polls putting Biden well ahead, his premise of "Trump's pending victory" is absurd and the windows are being boarded up to save them from angry Trump followers.

OscarMadison, TowelWaver and maumann like this.
  10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

And you think there hasn't been 'really heroic' study of the lunatic fringe in the last four years?

Much longer, since McVeigh.

I read on Friday of a national guard unit that is ready to be mobilized just for these urchins.

Y2K always seemed like a sci-fi plot hatched by a bad writer.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Trumps rallies are being covered by the MSM Foxnews FoxBusiness oneAmerica. Trumps talking to people who already voted for him and isn’t being heard by anyone else. Biden’s campaign wasn’t going after minorities or trump supporters, Biden was going after independents

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

In Carter's case, yes, the economy. But there were also the hostages in Iran that dragged down his last year. Although in retrospect, compared to Trump's handling of the pandemic, Carter looks like a freaking genius!

OscarMadison and garrow like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.