1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Fuck this country. I've given up on them.

I'm going to spend my remaining years cheating on taxes, not paying my bills, and treating other people like shitheads. Seems to be a popular thing to do.

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

STOP COUNTING!

WAIT, KEEP COUNTING!

LOL

maumann and TowelWaver like this.
  3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

My thoughts at this moment:

- Biden is going to win, although Christ, I think there is so much doom and gloom because everyone was hoping for the landslide victory to avoid today, tomorrow and Friday. Meaning, Trump attempting to declare victory, sowing chaos and being himself for another 72 hours. Trump basically needs a miracle when it comes to mail-in ballots or a court challenge. (This is where I note that Republicans weren't successful with voting challenges in *Texas*, so it's hard for me to imagine that they're going to get the three to five decisions they would need, and I kind of think the end game here is that Trump claims he'll do it and then doesn't, like a lot of his lawsuit threats.)

- While 538 and sites of its ilk did the best they could with the polling data they were being fed, it's pretty clear that the polls for 2016 and 2020 weren't great. I'm not sure if that's because Trump is such an outlier candidate, or, if there is something fundamentally wrong with their methods. My suspicion is that a lot of Trump supporters are mom's basement types who aren't going to be counted by any conventional polling method, which is why the polls for 2018 - an election he wasn't directly involved in, and which wasn't great for Republicans - were mostly correct. Going forward, I think you can spin it one of two ways. Republicans could be in trouble unless they can find a galvanizing candidate who can really motivate that Q-Anon voter, or, Democracts are in trouble because they won't get to run against a candidate as obviously flawed as Trump in 2024.

- Last I saw, Dems were still favored to earn a tie or a 1 or 2 seat majority in the Senate. Not as great as you'd like, but it still gives Dems more power than they had to get some things done.

misterbc, maumann and TowelWaver like this.
  4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Did OANN call Arizona yet?

5. champ_kind

champ_kind Well-Known Member

At one point last night, you could've gotten Biden +600. And while I am sad to have missed out on that sweet action, it seems odd given that, while the polls were significantly off, the counting was going pretty much as we had been told for weeks: that Trump would lead last night before Upper Midwest mail-ins started getting counted. Not saying everything went as it was "supposed to" but nothing wacky enough to justify that big a slide.

TowelWaver and maumann like this.
  6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

One other thing about the polling - Yeah, it's frustrating for us watching the results come in. But if you're a *political party*, it has an even bigger effect. Like, Kamala Harris did a campaign stop in Texas the Friday before the election because they thought they had a chance in the state. With more accurate polling, she's probably somewhere else. It cut against the Dems this election, but it's not hard to see it going the other way in 2022 or 2024 - The Republicans assuming they're going to get a 5 to 10 percent bump in some polls, but it never comes, because Trump isn't on the ballot.

TowelWaver and maumann like this.
  7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

It’s really sickening. Trump getting that much support speaks volumes about this country.

8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Assuming Peters wins in MI once the rest of the vote is in, they’ll need both GA races to get to 50. Gideon would give them 51. All are plausible.

maumann likes this.
  9. poindexter

There will be some other Trump-like asshole to take his place. I GUARANTEE YOU THAT. And the next one may even have a brain.

JakeandElwood likes this.
  10. poindexter

The next one is going to be even more asshole-ish. More racist. More lawbreaking.

11. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

The polls may or may not have given Democrats false hope of flipping Florida or perhaps even Texas because of a supposed "blue wave." At the same point, Democrats should win the Presidency and get two possible runoff cracks at the Senate here in Georgia in January.

The fact that at least 66 million people on one side or the other are going to be upset with how this shakes out is the scary thing. This county is split in two.

TowelWaver likes this.
  12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Tom Cotton.

2muchcoffeeman and Inky_Wretch like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.